It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 am

Hauptwerk Recording

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

pedro

Hauptwerk Recording

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:51 am

Hello Everyone
I have had Hauptwerk for a long time but only recently started experimenting with recording.
I found out that Hauptwerk records all channels seperate.Does that make sense?
My setup consists of:
CH 1-2--Front
CH 3-4--MIDDLE
CH 5-6--REAR
So when i start recording i get 3 seperate recordings.
Is it possible to combine these channels with a setting in Hauptwerk somewhere so the 6 channels are combined?
Or is the only option to add CH 7-8 for a mixdown of the first 6 channels to get a mixed recording?
Is it then possible to somehow cancel the recordings for 1-2,3-4,5-6 so that i end up with only the CH 7-8 recording?
Thank you for any advice

Grant_Youngman

Re: Hauptwerk Recording

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:58 am

Yes, set up a mixdown pair. Turn recording OFF on your output groups containing ch 1-6, and ON on your mixdown.

That's the simplest way to do it.

I have a mix down group that goes to my sub and one that goes to a headphone amp. I only record from the headphone amp group.
Grant

mdyde

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 10:16 am

Hello Pedro,

To add to Grant's reply (thanks, Grant), the option to enable or disable recording for any given audio output is on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen. Also, the mix-down that you create for the purpose doesn't actually need to have any physical channels selected on your audio interface (so you don't need to 'waste' any device channels, if you don't want to hear the mixed output in real-time) -- you can have 'None' selected for both device channels. You do need to make sure that the same audio driver is selected, though (required for synchronisation).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

pedro

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 10:31 am

Thank you for your reply ,Grant and Martin.
Yes i do understand all the info you gave me.
My rme has only 6 analog out channels so i will configure 2 more ADAT channels for mixdown .
Have a nice weekend

mdyde

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks, Pedro.

Just to clarify -- you don't even need to select your RME's ADAT channels unless you specifically want to send the mix-down to an external device (via ADAT). You can just select 'None' for both the left and right device channels in Hauptwerk if you prefer, and Hauptwerk can still record the audio that you send to the mix-down.
Best regards, Martin.

pedro

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:57 pm

Okay,thanks Martin
Where do i select the ''none''?
Is it 7-8 that i select?

mdyde

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Correct. Select 'None' for both of the left and right device *channels* for your new aux mix-down output on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen (but select your the RME as the audio device).
Best regards, Martin.

pedro

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks a lot,Martin
Everything fine now.
One more question:
Its not possible to record with the 6 channels and play back the recording though the 6 channels assigned?
Reason for asking is the recording will sound better played back through the 6 speakers than through the one pair of speakers.
Thanks

mdyde

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks, Pedro.

Glad to hear it's working now.

pedro wrote:Its not possible to record with the 6 channels and play back the recording though the 6 channels assigned?
Reason for asking is the recording will sound better played back through the 6 speakers than through the one pair of speakers.

You can make audio recordings from Hauptwerk, but it currently has no ability at all to play audio recordings (multi-channel or otherwise). If you have third-party audio editor/DAW software that can play more than two channels then you could potentially load all of the relevant recordings into that, configuring it to play the recordings back through the relevant speakers (when Hauptwerk isn't running).

However, the simplest option is probably just to get Hauptwerk to record a MIDI file (as well as the stereo audio mix-down). You can load and play back such MIDI files in Hauptwerk's built-in recorder/player.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support