It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

Roland PK-5 pedals as midi controller

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

brianc larke

Roland PK-5 pedals as midi controller

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 12:02 pm

How do I set the Roland pk5 pedals to use as a midi controller

mdyde

Re: Pedals as midi controller

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Hello Brian,

Thanks for the continued interest in Hauptwerk.

Based on Roland's owner's manual for their PK-5:

https://www.roland.com/us/products/pk-5/
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/PK-5_OM.pdf

... I see that it it needs to connect to your computer using a MIDI cable. (It doesn't have a direct USB-MIDI connection.) Also, I see that it either needs to have its AC power adapter connector, or to have batteries (with charge) in it. Hence what you should need to do is:

- Make sure the PK-5's power adapter is connected, or that it has charged batteries in it.

- Make sure the PK-5 is switched on.

- Connect a MIDI lead from the MIDI OUT port on your PK-5 to a spare MIDI IN port on your PC's MIDI interface (and make sure the current version of the driver for your MIDI interface is installed, if relevant).

- Reboot the PC, for good measure.

- Launch Hauptwerk.

- Go to the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen.

- Make sure that the MIDI interface's MIDI IN port (to which your PK-5 is connected) is ticked in the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN') column.

- Click the OK button.

- Load the St. Anne's organ.

- Right-click on the virtual pedalboard, select 'Auto-detect MIDI ...', then follow the on-screen instructions to press the highest and lowest keys on your PK-5.

- The 'Done' button should become enabled, indicating that Hauptwerk has 'heard' valid MIDI messages from your PK-5. Click it.

You should then be able to play the virtual St. Anne's pedals from your PK-5. If so, perform the same auto-detection procedure in any other sample sets (organs) that you might use.

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

brianc larke

Need help with Roland PK-5 Pedals

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 1:41 pm

I have recently set up my hauptwerk system with keyboards and they all work ok. I cannot under any circumstance get the PK-5's to work on my system, they are plugged in all correctly. There are no problems with any connections or power, I get absolutely no response from them on Hauptwerk. When plugged into my Roland VA-7 they work fine no problems can anyone help me please.

mdyde

Re: Roland PK-5 pedals as midi controller

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Hello Brian,

I've merged your new topic into your previous one (this one), since they both cover the same issue.

Did you see my previous reply (above)? Have you tried following my instructions in that reply? That covers what you should need to do to get your MIDI pedalboard working.
Best regards, Martin.

brianc larke

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, I tried all options but it was the pedals themselves that needed configuring to work as a midi

mdyde

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 4:40 am

Hello Brian,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you found the solution.
Best regards, Martin.

brianc larke

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 7:17 am

Hi Martin
Turned on the V P O this. Morning PK5 pedals not working,do you know how to reset the pedals in V P O mode ? I have spent over two hours this morning trying
Different combinations to no avail ,Ihave contacted Roland
Reg the problem but there is no support as the
Pedals are over 10yrs old I do have the pedal manual
But it is difficult to understand ,I tried several pedal combinations and inadvertently got them working but
I didn't make a note of what I did ,(Guess this is age related)
All your help is much appreciated, Regards Brian

mdyde

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 7:28 am

Hello Brian,

Please try these steps again:

- Exit Hauptwerk if it's running.

- Make sure that a MIDI lead is still connected from the MIDI OUT port on your pedalboard to the MIDI IN port on your MIDI interface.

- Make sure that the MIDI interface to which the pedalboard is connected is still connected to the computer.

- Make sure that both the pedalboard and the MIDI interface have their mains power supplies connected and that they are powered up (where relevant).

- Re-launch Hauptwerk.

- Go to the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen.

- Make sure that the MIDI interface's MIDI IN port (to which your PK-5 is connected) is (still) ticked in the left-hand ('Console MIDI IN') column.

- Click the OK button.

- Load the St. Anne's organ.

- Right-click on the virtual pedalboard, select 'Auto-detect MIDI ...', then follow the on-screen instructions to press the highest and lowest keys on your PK-5.

- The 'Done' button should become enabled, indicating that Hauptwerk has 'heard' valid MIDI messages from your PK-5. Click it.

Does that solve it? If not, do any of the virtual MIDI activity LEDs flash on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' control panel ('View | Large floating control panels ...') whenever you press keys on your PK-5 pedalboard?

Could I also just confirm whether you're evaluating Hauptwerk with a view to buying a licence for it in the reasonably near future? (If not, i.e. if you're just planning to stick with using the Free Edition, then of course that's absolutely no problem, but we don't officially provide technical support with the Free Edition, so I'll move this topic to the Free Edition section of the forum where other users might be able to you.)
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support