It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

Connection keyboard to Hauptwerk

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

hankoster

Connection keyboard to Hauptwerk

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:49 pm

I have an Evolution MK-149 keyboard connected via USB2.0-MIDI to my PC and I have problems to connect it to Hauptwerk.
When I right click a key on the console and ask automatic detection it instructs me to press the lowest en highest key and press Done when that button becomes activated. It never comes to that state.
I have tried a lot of things: power switch the keyboard, disconnect and reconnect, unplug and replug USB, restart Hauptwerk and all these in different order.
All of a sudden it worked. I cannot recollect what the lastest order of manipulation was to come to thsi state. But now I can play using this keyboard.
Next I like to connect the numeric keys of the keyboard to the preset knobs of the organ.
Again I right click the knob. Select auto detect. I am instructed to press a key and click the enabled Done button.
But again it fails. I can use the keyboard to play te organ, so the connection is OK.
What do I do wrong?

mdyde

Re: Connection keyboard to Hauptwerk

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello Han,

Thanks for the continued in interest in Hauptwerk.

hankoster wrote:I have an Evolution MK-149 keyboard connected via USB2.0-MIDI to my PC and I have problems to connect it to Hauptwerk.
When I right click a key on the console and ask automatic detection it instructs me to press the lowest en highest key and press Done when that button becomes activated. It never comes to that state.
I have tried a lot of things: power switch the keyboard, disconnect and reconnect, unplug and replug USB, restart Hauptwerk and all these in different order.
All of a sudden it worked. I cannot recollect what the lastest order of manipulation was to come to thsi state. But now I can play using this keyboard.

You should just need to:

- Make sure that your MIDI keyboard is always connected to the computer and powered up *before* you launch Hauptwerk. Hauptwerk queries the list of audio and MIDI devices from the operating system when Hauptwerk launches and it expects them to remain the same; it doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices, so you mustn't plug in, unplug, or turn on, or turn off, and audio or MIDI devices whilst Hauptwerk is actually running -- always exit Hauptwerk before doing any of those things. Please exit and re-launch Hauptwerk if you might previously have changed any physical connections since you launched it.

- Make sure that your MIDI keyboard's MIDI port is ticked in the *left-hand* ('Console MIDI IN') column on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI IN ports' screen (*not* the right-hand 'Sequencer MIDI IN' column).

- With the St. Anne's organ loaded, you should then be able to auto-detect the keyboard successfully.

hankoster wrote:Next I like to connect the numeric keys of the keyboard to the preset knobs of the organ.
Again I right click the knob. Select auto detect. I am instructed to press a key and click the enabled Done button.
But again it fails. I can use the keyboard to play te organ, so the connection is OK.
What do I do wrong?

Am I right in understanding that you're referring to computer keyboard's built-in numeric keypad?

If so, and assuming it's a PC (as opposed to a Mac), please first make sure that you have the keyboard's NumLock function turned on.

If that doesn't solve it:

What operating system and version are you using? Also, can you give a specific example of a virtual control on the St. Anne's organ that isn't auto-detecting for you?

If I use right-click auto-detection on one of the St. Anne's virtual Great divisional pistons (underneath the virtual Great manual), keys on my PC's numeric keypad auto-detect properly for me (on Windows 10).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

hankoster

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 pm

I am referring to the numeric buttons of the MK-149 keyboard. Not the PC keyboard.
I want to program the presets via the console and be able to use the num-keys of the MK-149 while playing.

mdyde

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 4:15 am

Hello Han,

I don't think we've previously heard of anyone trying to use one of those particular models of MIDI keyboards with Hauptwerk. From a brief look on the Internet, I see that the Evolution MK-149 was discontinued a few years ago, but I found a user guide for it here:

http://www.evolution-uk.com/wp-content/uploads/mk149eng.pdf

If my understanding is correct, you can either:

1. Use its 0-9 buttons to type 3-digit MIDI program change numbers, which it will then send, presumably only when all three digits have been typed (and which Hauptwerk should then be able to auto-detect), or:

2. Configure its 0-5 buttons to assign specific MIDI program change and back change numbers to each of them, which the corresponding keys will send when pressed. Hauptwerk can auto-detect MIDI program change messages, but if bank change messages are sent simultaneously then it might confuse auto-detection (since it wouldn't be certain which of the messages you had wanted it to hear). If that's the case, you might need to right-click on the desired virtual control/piston and select 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually', select 'Momentary piston: MIDI program change', then select the appropriate MIDI port, MIDI channel and MIDI program number manually.

However, my advice would be first to exit Hauptwerk if it's running (since any given MIDI device can normally only be used by one application at once), launch MIDI-OX http://midiox.com/ (assuming you're using a PC, as opposed to a Mac), then experiment with your MK-149 and its user guide to see if you can get those buttons to send just MIDI program changes in a way that's convenient for you. Provided that you can make them send MIDI program changes (with no other accompanying messages) then Hauptwerk should be able to auto-detect them in the normal way.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support