It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

MOTU 24Ao Sample rate error messages

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

thalben

MOTU 24Ao Sample rate error messages

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 am

I have a problem getting my MOTU 24 Ao to allow an organ to load. I have set the sample rate on the interface to 48kHz nut when I try to load St. Annes for locked 48Hz drivers I get this:
"The sample rate was set to 0Hz rather than therequested 48000Hz for ASIO: MOTU Pro Audio'
Please try re-booting the computer or using a different driver.
Message Code 5147"
The same happens with other organs too.
The MOTU is connected to the PC via USB and is configured as an Audio Interface.

Any ideas?

Nigel

mdyde

Re: MOTU 24Ao Sample rate error messages

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:55 am

Hello Nigel,

That happens with MOTU's current AVB interfaces' driver when the organ you load needs a different sample rate from the previous one. Hauptwerk always asks the driver to switch to the necessary sample rate, but the AVB interfaces don't switch sample rates straight away, instead reporting a sample rate of 0 Hz for a brief while, resulting in Hauptwerk reporting that error message. I assume the behaviour is due to the distributed (networked) behaviour of AVB. This topic covers it:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15673

If it happens, a quick work-around is just to use 'Engine | Advanced ... | Start audio/MIDI' after a few moments. By that time the interface will probably have changed to the requested sample rate.

Since almost all current/recent sample sets are 48 kHz (except St. Anne's, for maximum compatibility), most people don't actually need to switch sample rates very often anyway.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

thalben

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Hello Martin

Thanks for your quick reply, as ever! I had read the thread you suggest and followed that advice but no joy I'm afraid. I have not changed the sample rate from 48KHz. That is what is showing on the MOTU display. I'm not using the AVB connection, just USB.

mdyde

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello Nigel,

It doesn't matter whether you're using USB or AVB -- the driver behaves the same in either case.

Do you mean that, after you've loaded an organ and received that error, even using 'Engine | Advanced ... | Start audio/MIDI' after a few moments doesn't work?

Do you have the latest firmware installed for the interface, and also the latest version of MOTU's driver ( http://motu.com/download )?

What operating system are you using?
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 pm

The latest firmware update is here:

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/avbfirmware

Rgds,
Ed

thalben

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks for your replies, yes I have the latest firmware. I'm on Windows 10. The organs starts to load but then I get "starting organ" - "please wait while audio and midi starts" . It goes up to 21% and then I get the error message.

mdyde

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks, Nigel.

Do you mean that, after you've loaded an organ and received that error, even using 'Engine | Advanced ... | Start audio/MIDI' after a few moments doesn't work?
Best regards, Martin.

thalben

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Yes Martin. After I get the error I use 'Engine | Advanced ... | Start audio/MIDI' and then the same error message comes up again.

Doug S.

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 pm

I too had the same issue on Windows 10 which I abandoned due to an increase in latency versus Windows 7. I made the "wait for hardware" change and also insured the 24ao is first on and last off before things settled down. I'm still not 100% convinced all is well. I will intintentionally load an organ with a different sample rate to see what happens. I'm a bit annoyed that MOTU's software, drivers and customer support are so user unfriendly. I'd have expected better considering the cost.
Doug

mdyde

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 5:02 am

Hello Nigel/Doug,

Thanks for the updates.

I will set up a MOTU 16A again on Windows 10 to see what happens now, then get back to you. A couple of months or so ago it was definitely working for me as I described previously, but MOTU released a firmware update recently, which might perhaps have changed something since then.
Best regards, Martin.

thalben

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 6:06 am

Thanks Martin. That would be helpful. I have tried using the MOTU for windows sounds and although the MOTU is detected, when I test the sound, nothing comes through. I can't get the MOTU to be the default sound device. It's beginning to look like a hardware fault. I will try MOTU support, but unlike you, they are not that good :?

The 24Ao I have now is a replacement for one I have installed for a customer. Their unit suddenly stops working and a chirruping sound comes out. When the PC is re-started it's OK again.

Regarding MOTU in general, I had to send an Ultralite back recently and I replaced it with a Focusrite which has worked well. But I need the 24 channels for this organ!

Thanks for investigating this, best wishes, Nigel

mdyde

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks, Nigel.

I've just set my 16A up on Windows 10 again, and I found I needed to reinstall the current version of the driver in order for it to be visible as an ASIO device at all. (I already the current version installed, but perhaps some recent Windows 10 update had corrupted it somehow.) Also, the MOTU Discovery application doesn't find my 16A (even after reinstalling the driver and many reboots), but the 'MOTU Pro Audio WebUI Setup' application does, and it is visible as an ASIO device.

I also applied the latest firmware update to it.

Having done those things, I can confirm that:

1. It does definitely work for me as I described, i.e. you will get an error message when first changing the sample rate, but it will then work properly (if starting the audio driver via 'Engine | Advanced ... | Start audio/MIDI', and/or by using any organs of the newly-set sample rate). Hence the issue only occurs once each time that the unit actually changes sample rate (but not if the sample rate is already set correctly).

2. The fundamental issue appears to be a bug in the driver in that the driver always returns 0 Hz in response to the standard ASIOGetSampleRate function until the driver has been completely restarted. (Even if, as a test, I make Hauptwerk wait a few seconds and then re-try the query it still returns 0 Hz without completely restarting the driver.) Hence it doesn't appear to be something for which we could readily implement a work-around in Hauptwerk. I will try raising it with MOTU's support in the hopes that they might fix the driver's implementation of ASIOGetSampleRate for a future version of the driver. I will also raise with them that the MOTU Discovery application is no longer reporting the device as being present on my Windows 10 installation (even though the device is working anyway).

However, (as in 1) it does definitely work for me as I described, i.e. it's just a spurious error message when actually changing sample rates, that's easily worked around, and which doesn't occur if the sample rate is already set.

If that definitely, definitely isn't happening for you, then I can only suggest:

- Try re-installing the driver current version of the MOTU AVB Pro Audio Installer ( http://motu.com/download ), then shutting the computer and devices down fully, then starting everything up again.

- Before launching Hauptwerk (for good measure), make sure the MOTU's clock source is set to 'Internal' in the 'MOTU Pro Audio WebUI Setup' application.

- If that still doesn't solve it even when the sample rate is already correct, and unless anybody else has any suggestions, I can only suggest contacting MOTU for support, I'm afraid.

(I don't have a MOTU 24Ao myself, but as far as I know the 16A uses the same driver, so I wouldn't expect any difference in behaviour, and quite a few other Hauptwerk users use the 24Ao successfully.)
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 am

P.S. To update the firmware, I think you might possibly need to connect the device to the computer with an Ethernet cable, then use the 'MOTU Pro Audio WebUI Setup' application to update it (in case there's any possibility that your firmware isn't actually current).
Best regards, Martin.

thalben

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:40 am

Hello Martin.
Strangely enough I have already done all the things you suggest and still no further on. I have raised a technical support ticket on the MOTU website so we'll see what they have to say. In the meantime I will try it on another PC running windows 7 and see if that works. Thanks for trying!
Nigel

engrssc

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 am

thalben wrote:In the meantime I will try it on another PC running windows 7 and see if that works.

No problem (for me) running with Win 7. Curious to see what you find.

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to Technical support