It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

Occasional Loss of Settings

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Doug S.

Occasional Loss of Settings

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 3:57 pm

I'm experiencing occasional loss of "load favorite organ" setting plus the cache for no apparent reason. I recache and restore the autoload and all is well sometimes for weeks until it happens again. Windows 7 pro 64 is up to date as are all hardware drivers
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

mdyde

Re: Occasional Loss of Settings

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:15 am

Hello Doug,

Hauptwerk always saves it settings when you exit. However, if the PC loses power unexpectedly, or crashes, or if a driver crashes and causes Hauptwerk to crash, then any settings changes might not be saved. Drive corruption, or RAM corruption (e.g. due to an erratic RAM board fault) could also cause loss or corruption of settings. I would suggest:

- Make sure the PC is always shut down properly/fully before cutting power to it.

- Make sure that you have the latest version of your PC motherboard's BIOS installed, checking on the manufacturers' website.

- Test the PC's RAM for errors: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff700221.aspx

- Scan the PC's drive/SSD for errors: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2641432

- Make sure that your PC's clock is correct and remains so, since an incorrect clock can cause Hauptwerk to think that caches need to be regenerated (as a result of timestamp comparisons). A failed/failing PC motherboard battery is the usual cause of caches regenerating unexpectedly, since it will make the PC's clock misbehave.

If that doesn't solve it (or identify the problem), the next time that it happens, please use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' and send it to us ( http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ). Hopefully that will give a clue to what might be going wrong.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Doug S.

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 am

Thanks Martin,
In my effort to go headless, I set the pc power button to shut down the computer. I will begin exiting HW with the mouse prior to powering down to see if that's the culprit.
It would be great if the "shut down the computer" Hauptwerk function was midi addressable.
Doug
Doug

mdyde

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks, Doug.

Doug S. wrote:It would be great if the "shut down the computer" Hauptwerk function was midi addressable.

Actually it is!
Best regards, Martin.

Doug S.

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks Martin,
A good lesson in "Try before you cry."
Another question...When you hit the exit HW tab, do all the background HW tasks finish before the Hauptwerk screen reverts to the normal operating system desktop screen?
Doug
Doug

mdyde

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Hello Doug,

Doug S. wrote:Another question...When you hit the exit HW tab, do all the background HW tasks finish before the Hauptwerk screen reverts to the normal operating system desktop screen?

It doesn't matter how you exit Hauptwerk (by clicking on any item on its File menu, or by clicking the 'x' icon in its window's title bar to exit the application, or by triggering any item on its File menu, or by shutting the computer down properly) -- they all do the same thing, and will cause Hauptwerk to shut down fully and properly before it exits.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support