It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

Registration

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

axel971

Registration

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:50 am

Hi everybody,

I'm a kind of newbie in Hauptwerk and I am a bit confused with registrations.
Would you like to share your experience about that topic ?
What I'm looking for is 2 kinds of registration :

1. General registrations like "Basse de trompette". Is it possible to name a registration in order to find it easily ?

2. Stepped registrations for one piece : e.g. "Franck Choral 3 - 80 steps". Same thing, is it possible to name the set ?

mdyde

Re: Registration

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

josq

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 am

Sets of registrations ("combination sets") can be saved, edited and retrieved via the registration menu or via "view>>mini control panels>>combination set load/save/assign".

For individual registrations (e.g. master generals), it is not possible to assign an alias, as far as I know.

It would be a nice enhancement of Hauptwerk if we could give custom names to the pistons (and using tool tips to reveal the Hauptwerk function behind the alias). So for example, a piston could be assigned to Master General 1, and named by the user as "Basse de Trompette". Hovering with the mouse over the piston would show "Master general 1". This is just a suggestion for improvement.

mnailor

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 am

Those are good ideas.

I only have unlabeled pistons and toe studs to work with, so I try to make it easy to remember piston placement by being very consistent across organs. For example, every French baroque organ's divisional pistons have the same combinations or close substitutes. So I always find the G.O. Trompette with Bourdon on the same piston, and the Pos. fonds 842 on the same piston for that manual (for a Basse de Trompette example).

Franck didn't have anything like a piston sequencer or registration stepper, just four ventil controls for the hand registered stops on the anches windchests, so the adventurous might try using those as historical practice. But I cheat by using reversible toe studs as a substitute to turn each division's full registration and outgoing couplers on or off, because that also works on non-French organs and, again, I can remember the layout easily.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 11:15 am

Hello Axel,

By 'name' I had thought that you were enquiring about appropriate combinations of stops for those particular musical purposes, but I think I misunderstood your question -- my apologies. I've moved your topic here now.

To add to josq's reply (thanks josq), the 'Registration menu: combination sets' section of the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 83-89 in the current v4.2.1) version covers how to name complete sets of all combinations (which can alternatively be thought of as 'banks'), so that you can store and name a set of combinations for a particular piece of music, for example.

It isn't currently possible to specify a custom displayed name for Hauptwerk's master general/scoped/reversible pistons, or for individual combination stepper frame numbers, but we do have an enhancement request logged for that. I've added josq's notes to that request.
Best regards, Martin.

axel971

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 5:26 am

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

mdyde

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 5:39 am

Thanks, Axel.
Best regards, Martin.

axel971

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 am

In fact, it would be nice to be able to add labelled (graphical ?) "stops" to the console interface with labels like "Fonds 8'4'2'" or "Basse de trompette" or "Plein jeu".
The pipeloops's nd de laeken is a good example of what I mean.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 11:38 am

Hello Axel,

You can use Hauptwerk's 'master reversibles' and 'master scoped combinations' to achieve similar functionality, turning groups of stops on or off, or toggling the states of stops (individually or as groups). The 'Registration menu: master reversible combinations' (pages 106-107 of the current v4.2.1 version) and 'Registration menu: master scoped combinations' (pages 101-104) sections in the main Hauptwerk user guide cover them respectively.

You can optionally also assign those functions to Hauptwerk's 'piston toolbars' (pages 63-65) which can be docked around the edges of the virtual console screens. However, you can't embed those functions within a virtual organ's native graphical console (except by creating your own organ definition from scratch using the Custom Organ Design Module, which would usually be significant and fairly technically-involved undertaking).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support