It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

Switching audio interface drivers

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

magnaton

Switching audio interface drivers

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Hello:

Is there a way to have a particular Alt Config inactivate or 'forget' an ASIO device driver? I have an HW Alt Config using a different (new) audio interface along with its respective ASIO driver. However when I start HW, I get the "ASIO device is missing" warning message which is true since that is the one used by my original audio interface unit and indeed it is is turned off. When I click pass the warning message the sample set loads and plays without issue on the new interface. So basically I'm trying to get the warning message to go away.

In a related question, on page 137 in the HW manual, it says the General Config wizard will reset your global audio and MIDI settings for any reason. Will this reset effect just the particular Alt Config are all configs? The Alt Config (#3) with this new interface is my 'scratch config' so I wouldn't mind resetting it to resolve my warning message issue.

Thanks,

Danny B.

mdyde

Re: Switching audio interface drivers

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 5:04 am

Hello Danny,

magnaton wrote:Is there a way to have a particular Alt Config inactivate or 'forget' an ASIO device driver? I have an HW Alt Config using a different (new) audio interface along with its respective ASIO driver. However when I start HW, I get the "ASIO device is missing" warning message which is true since that is the one used by my original audio interface unit and indeed it is is turned off. When I click pass the warning message the sample set loads and plays without issue on the new interface. So basically I'm trying to get the warning message to go away.

Hauptwerk will only prompt you that an audio device is missing if it's a device that you currently have selected as the audio output device for Hauptwerk to use (on the 'General settings | Audio outputs') screen. When it shows you that warning it will give several options:

1. Exit Hauptwerk and keep existing settings.

2. Continue and mark the missing device as 'offline'. If you select this option then you would still be able to load the organ, but you wouldn't usually be able to hear its sound (since Hauptwerk would still then be configured to use the missing device).

3. Continue and re-default the relevant device setting to use an audio device that's present now on the computer.

If you select either of options 2 or 3 then Hauptwerk will open the 'General settings | Audio outputs') screen automatically so that can check/change the audio device setting.

Presumably you're selecting option 3, and you happen to be lucky that the device selected automatically is indeed the one you would now prefer (which would probably be the case if there was now only one ASIO device connected). Alternatively, conceivably you could be selecting option 2, but have the off-line device selected for a logical audio output to which you don't currently have any ranks routed for the relevant organ (so that you wouldn't hear any difference due to its absence).

magnaton wrote:In a related question, on page 137 in the HW manual, it says the General Config wizard will reset your global audio and MIDI settings for any reason. Will this reset effect just the particular Alt Config are all configs? The Alt Config (#3) with this new interface is my 'scratch config' so I wouldn't mind resetting it to resolve my warning message issue.

No audio and MIDI settings are shared between configurations, so resetting them in one configuration won't affect the others. The 'Installation: background information: Understanding the configurations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide covers specifically what's shared between the configurations (page 18 in the current v4.2.1 version).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support