It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

Auto-Detect doesn't work

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

organplayer

Auto-Detect doesn't work

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello,
Since about 2 years I have installed some samplesets and assigned with auto-detect the manuals. Also I assigned to different pistons the combinations and stepper up and down. Also the cued organs with "next", "previous" and "load" . Everything works fine till last week.

Suddenly the pistons for next and previous organ and load didn't work any more. I tried to auto-detect again but nothing happened. Auto-detect didn't work.

I reinstalled the last backup and everything worked fine again. That means that the pistons and midi-transmission etc. are ok.

Today I tried for some of the installed organs to reassign the stepper to new foot-pistons. but auto-detect doesn't work. I tried to enter manually the identical values from another organ. But the pistons don't work. But they are ok, because they work with my other organs without any problem.

I uninstalled the organs and installed them again. Same problem. No auto-detect. I cleared all assignement etc. Same problem.

May be my description is a little bit confusing? (it depends on my bad English). Anyway, does anyone know what is going on with my Hauptwerk installation? I never had this problem before and don't understand why it works with some organs but not with all.

regards
organplayer

engrssc

Re: Auto-Detect doesn't work

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Probably not relevant, but which piston encoder are you using?

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 8:24 pm

The failure to auto-detect is likely due to an intermittent piston or other control such as a stop or swell pedal sending constant MIDI data that confuses HW. Operating (exercising) some of the controls may help. Otherwise it may be necessary to monitor the MIDI data with MIDI-Ox or a similar program to determine what is happening.

engrssc

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 8:34 pm

Possibly contact bounce? Ran into some used pistons that had similar issues.
The contact material was corroded due to some liquid substance. They were
at best intermittent and many times did not respond to auto-detect..

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 4:43 am

Hello organplayer,

To add to others' replies, and if the problem persists, please try:

- On the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab temporarily turn on the 'Diagnostics: log all MIDI ...' option. OK the screen and OK the warning about performance.

- Being careful not to touch anything else (so that we can identify the relevant MIDI messages apart easily in the log), press, then release, your 'next cued organ' piston exactly once.

- Wait 10 seconds or so (also so that we can tell the messages apart in the log).

- Without touching anything else, press, then release, that 'next cued organ' piston again exactly once.

- Wait 10 seconds or so.

- Without touching anything else, try to auto-detect that piston, pressing and releasing the MIDI piston exactly once, then OK/cancel the screen.

- Without touching anything else, use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' and send the resulting file to us: http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ . That will allow us to see exactly what MIDI messages your MIDI piston is transmitting.

- Turn MIDI logging off again on the general preferences screen.

Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organplayer

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 3:11 pm

First of all, thank you for your prompt responses and efforts. The good news: Auto-detect works again. But it was just a coincidence that I came up with it. It is a bit complicated and not quite typical. Here is the explanation, which might be of interest to technically interested users:

Since the console is located in the middle of a larger room, it is not connected to the computer and the amplifier system via a traditional midi cable, but via midi radio. (Most guitarists do this, for example, so that they can move freely in space.) It is called Panda Midibeam. It consists of two parts: The transmitter at the console and the receiver. At the Hauptwerk Computer a USB midi converter is then connected to the receiver part of Midibeam. For this, I use a Roland UM-One. (All together cost abaout 150 US dollars.)

Now to the midi signals: The two manuals and the pedal broadcast on Channel 1-3, the hand pistons on channel 12 and the foot pistons on channel 7, all running to a midi-merge unit to which the Midi wireless transmitter is connected. The whole Connstruction works absolutely perfectly and without noticeable delays.

The cause of my previous problem: Hauptwerk recognizes the Midi-Beam receiver and the Roland Midi-converter as two independent Midi devices and activates both at the same time. And then there are problems with auto-detect with midi channels greater than 2 (no idea why channels 1 and 2 are detected correctly.).

So you have to deactivate the Roland part in the midi settings. I did so a year ago. That's why auto-detect worked perfectly with the previous organs.

But some time ago I had to redistribute the USB ports and Hauptwerk activated both Midi devices secretly and silently. This has no influence on existing configurations and assignments which work very well. But you can not make new assignments with auto-detect.

So: If I change the USB devices in the future, I have to check the entries in Hautpwerk again. (This also applies to audio USB devices as I learned with pain).

best regards from
happy organplayer

mdyde

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello organplayer,

Thanks for the update, and very glad to hear it's working again now. We could probably never have guessed the cause in that case!

organplayer wrote:But some time ago I had to redistribute the USB ports and Hauptwerk activated both Midi devices secretly and silently. This has no influence on existing configurations and assignments which work very well. But you can not make new assignments with auto-detec

Just to clarify, Hauptwerk will never actually enable any MIDI ports automatically; if it finds new MIDI ports then it will always ask you whether you want to enable them, and only enable them if you say 'yes'. Hence you must have clicked that whenever it happened.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support