It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

Change trim settings from piece to piece?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Alte_neume

Change trim settings from piece to piece?

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello,
I own the Salisbury sample set. With very full registrations and especially when using the solo tuba, I must turn trim down to around -6 to avoid "hitting the red" and incurring audio distortions. However, when I record myself using very small/sparse combinations at -6 dB, I must turn the speaker volume very high on playback and then hear the ambient "hiss" in the background. Is it optimal/expected to change the trim settings for every single piece in order to have the recording in the "yellow" margin?

Thanks for the help! I'm preparing a set of recordings of Lenten pieces for several close friends.

jkinkennon

Re: Change trim settings from piece to piece?

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 10:43 pm

If the sample set is loaded at 24-bit depth then there should be loads of dynamic room to work with. At lower resolutions it may be necessary to optimize the recording levels as medium registrations will not be producing peaks "into the yellow". I don't have the Salisbury samples unfortunately so am just speaking in general about what I would expect.

Of course the ideal recording will be adjusted for optimal levels based on the actual organ output, but I'd be shocked if you NEED to tweak the levels for low noise. Just my opinion based on a lot of recording though not that much time doing HW recordings.

mdyde

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 am

Hello Alte_neume,

[Topic moved here.]

To add to jkinkennon's reply, Hauptwerk's audio engine (all audio processing) is always 32-bit internally anyway, so the bit depth in which you load the samples will make only a tiny difference to the noise floor, which will be inaudible in most cirumstances anyway, and especially if only a few pipes are sounding.

My guess is that the noise you're referreing to is actually the blower noise? That will certainly be much more noticeable when quiet registrations are being used, since the blower's level is constant, irrespective of the registration.

If so, you could optionally turn down the level of the blower's virtual 'rank' using the 'Organ settings | Pipe and rank voicing' screen (or even disable the blower completely using the 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options/routing' screen).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Alte_neume

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 am

I adjusted the blower noise with no change in the "hissing". I then plugged the speakers into my iPod and selected a soft recording to play. It made the same sound. I suspect it may be produced by my speakers when the volume is turned high. Perhaps through headphones it will be less.

Thank you for your comments. I take it then that I should set the trim based off of a full organ registration (for me around -6) and then leave it there?

mdyde

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Hello Alte_neume,

Alte_neume wrote:I adjusted the blower noise with no change in the "hissing".

Just in case it's relevant, since the blower is just a single virtual pipe, and adjusting the level of any of the other octaves' sliders (or any of the other pipes' sliders, which are disabled) would have no effect on it, the easiest way to be certain that you're adjusting its level is to use the 'master' slider at the far-left of the voicing screen (with the relevant rank selected, and with the 'Overall: amplitude (dB)' parameter selected, of course).

Alte_neume wrote:I then plugged the speakers into my iPod and selected a soft recording to play. It made the same sound. I suspect it may be produced by my speakers when the volume is turned high.

If your speakers are 'powered' (i.e. have built-in amplifiers), which presumably they are if you can connect them to your iPod, then yes -- it could certainly be that you're hearing some hiss from the amplifiers.

Alte_neume wrote:I take it then that I should set the trim based off of a full organ registration (for me around -6) and then leave it there?

Correct -- that's how it's intended to be used. If you do want to dip the volume temporarily (or in real-time) for any reason, then the level slider is there for that purpose.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support