It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:23 am

NRPN CC messages not working

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

markhankin

NRPN CC messages not working

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 am

Hello, I have just acquired a new four-button Midi footswitch unit which sends the following CC messages:

1) Hex 60 Data Increment
2) Hex 61 Data Decrement
3) Hex 62 NRPN LSB
4) Hex 63 NRPN MSB

My HW 4.2.1 recognises the first two, but will not respond to the last two. Any ideas why not, please? The footswitch is definitely working and sending the Midi data.

Thanks, Mark

mdyde

Re: NRPN CC messages not working

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Hello Mark,

Those four MIDI CC messages wouldn't, in themselves, normally be considered to represent a valid MIDI NRPN message, in that they need also to send a 'value' CC message (Hex 06):

http://www.philrees.co.uk/nrpnq.htm

('Data increment' and 'Data decrement' CCs aren't a substitute for sending a value byte; a value byte is still needed anyway, and Hauptwerk ignores the increment/decrement CCs.)

Perhaps you can adjust your MIDI switch/encoder's internal settings so that it transmits a different type of message, or so that it sends the NRPN value controller.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

markhankin

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks Martin. Just to clarify, below is exactly what the switch is sending. Not sure what all the columns mean. Should that be OK for HW? The first two buttons work fine on autodetect, (Hex 60 & 61). The other two, 62 & 63, do nothing.

Mark

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gc5tyA0tp4bu6MwRue--y8PECHgK5t54

mdyde

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks, Mark.

The sequence of bytes in your screenshot isn't a valid MIDI NRPN message in itself, I'm afraid, since it doesn't set the NRPN value. Hauptwerk wouldn't be able to auto-detect that as an NRPN, or use it as an NRPN.

Although Hauptwerk will potentially detect the CC 0x60 and CC 0x61 messages just as basic CC messages (as opposed to being part of any larger message, such as an NRPN), given that you mentioned that your MIDI footswitch unit has four buttons, my guess would be that the other three buttons would send the same values for CC 0x60 and CC 0x61, so if you auto-detected one of those buttons/CCs to a virtual stop/piston/button/switch then you might find that any/all of your four MIDI buttons would trigger it, i.e. the buttons might not function independently.
Best regards, Martin.

markhankin

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks Martin, that's all clear. I will speak to the guy who makes the footswitch.
Mark

mdyde

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 am

Thanks, Mark.

You're very welcome. Hope you manage to get it resolved.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support