It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am

How do I get my cresc settings back?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

sonar11

How do I get my cresc settings back?

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 7:35 pm

I bought a new sample (Aeolian Skinner from SP) and was attempting to program certain stops with pistons. Somehow, I must have overwritten the entire cresc settings. I wasn't even attempting to change the cresc pedal settings; I was only attempting to map certain stops to pistons. I had the "set" button lit up, and I might have absentmindedly moved the cresc pedal around while the "set" was active. Would that have done it?

If I start with no stops drawn, and cresc all the way down; then I hear nothing. Moving the cresc farther and farther up, I still hear nothing, until I get to the very top of the cresc pedal and then suddenly I get full organ at the very end.

Anybody know how to reset the cresc back to how it was defined by Jiri in the sample originally?

1961TC4ME

Re: How do I get my cresc settings back?

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 pm

This is a long shot, but.....have you already unloaded the organ since the changes took place? If not, the easiest way I know of is to select 'Unload Organ.' It will then ask you if you want to save the changes you made, select 'no' and the organ will unload but it will revert back to what you had before this issue came up. Reload it and you're good to go. Of course you'll lose any other changes you made but you can always easily re-map pistons. If you've already selected to unload it and chose 'yes' then someone else here will have to help. I'm sure Martin will have the fix.

Marc

sonar11

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Yes, unloading would probably work, but I want to avoid that if possible since I spent all that time mapping pistons etc.

engrssc

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 2:20 am

Assuming your crescendo pedal is working properly, what happens when you operate the crescendo pedal with a mouse from the console page of the sample set? Does the crescendo page show blanks up until the loudest setting on the right? Have you tried to re-program the cresc pedal via the cresc page?

If you have another computer, you could load H/W and the sample set and copy down the original cresc settings. Or you could create you own cresc pedal settings from scratch starting with the softer stops and building to the louder ones, etc. Crescendo is a customizable/programmable feature as you may know.

Another idea, the original crescendo settings may still be available on an alternate H/W version? Not sure about that, tho. I've never checked if settings could be transferred from one version to another either. That's a Martin question. You do have 4 versions of Hauptwerk available. Main and 3 alternates.

That leads to another (my) question. Is there a means to switch or (pre) choose which alternate version of Hauptwerk would be loaded by a means (holding a piston or switch for instance) other than selection or choosing it on the computer desktop? As in a headless setup?

Does Hauptwerk (as a default) always have to load the main (version)?

Rgds,
Ed

David Butcher

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 4:01 am

With the set loaded, try going to the Registration menu and choose "Revert all combinations to organ defaults". Assuming the crescendo system has been programmed using the same underlying mechanism as the divisional and general pistons, this should do the trick.

Of course, doing this will also reset your divisional and general pistons, so these should be backed up if you've made any changes there.

Hope that helps ...

mdyde

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 4:16 am

sonar11 wrote:Yes, unloading would probably work, but I want to avoid that if possible since I spent all that time mapping pistons etc.

Hello sonar11,

Unloading the organ will never lose any MIDI settings changes you might have made, regardless of how you respond to the question about whether you want to save any unsaved combination changes. Combinations (i.e. stored registrations) are completely separate from MIDI settings.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 4:34 am

engrssc wrote:That leads to another (my) question. Is there a means to switch or (pre) choose which alternate version of Hauptwerk would be loaded by a means (holding a piston or switch for instance) other than selection or choosing it on the computer desktop? As in a headless setup?

Does Hauptwerk (as a default) always have to load the main (version)?

Hello Ed,

[This isn't really related to the original topic, so it would ideally be best to raise this as a separate support request, but I'll answer here it here anyway for brevity.]

There are four different Hauptwerk executables in the operating system's Applications/Programs folder -- one for each Hauptwerk configuration. If you have Hauptwerk set to launch automatically when your computer boots then it's the computer's operating system that is launching the relevant Hauptwerk configuration/executable.

Hauptwerk isn't actually running at that point in time, so it can have no way of interacting with MIDI pistons, or of controlling what configuration/executable the operating system launches, so you'd need to devise some means outside of Hauptwerk if you wanted to do that (e.g. by developing your own shell/batch scripts which the operating system launched instead, and which then launched your desired Hauptwerk configuration's executable indirectly). I'll have to leave that one to you, if you want to pursue that, I'm afraid.

Also, just a quick note: I need to be able to concentrate properly on working on Hauptwerk v5 development, so please note that I won't normally be involved in day-to-day forum support or email support from now on, unless Brett specifically asks me to look at something. Hence if you have support questions then please raise them as support requests via the forum (or the technical support email form), rather than directing them to me personally, and Brett will deal with them as appropriate. Sorry -- I just don't have enough time to be able to do it all myself, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 3:20 pm

I won't be bothering anyone with my questions anymore. I'm outta here.

Rgds,
Ed

sonar11

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 6:26 pm

David Butcher wrote:With the set loaded, try going to the Registration menu and choose "Revert all combinations to organ defaults". Assuming the crescendo system has been programmed using the same underlying mechanism as the divisional and general pistons, this should do the trick.

Of course, doing this will also reset your divisional and general pistons, so these should be backed up if you've made any changes there.

Hope that helps ...

Thank you David, that worked. I did lose my piston mappings but I guess that's easy enough to get back.

mdyde

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 4:35 am

engrssc wrote:I won't be bothering anyone with my questions anymore. I'm outta here.

Hello Ed,

I hope you didn't take any offence from my post -- none at all was intended. I certainly didn't mean anything personal at all.

I just needed to mention that I won't normally be engaged with the forum from now non (because Brett would prefer that I concentrate on Hauptwerk development instead of support from now on, so that we can try to get version 5 finished as soon as possible). Hence I won't normally see any future questions that people might post, unless Brett specifically asks me to look at them. I definitely don't want you (or anybody else) to think that I'm ignorning you. We do of course greatly value your presence and contributions here, and I hope you'll continue them.

Right, I really do have to leave the forum now, so as to get back to Hauptwerk development. My very best Easter Wishes to everybody.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support