It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

Organ unloads very very slowly...

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Christian Liu

Organ unloads very very slowly...

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Hauptwerk version: 4.2.1.003, Advanced Edition.
My computer is Intel NUC7 i7bnh, with 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD, CPU is Intel core i7-7657U. Windows 10 professional 64bit.
The organs load normally, but unload very very slowly! When I close Hauptwerk, the RAM occupation drops at a very low speed of 200-300MB per second. (According to Task Maganer). Also the CPU occupation is pretty high during this slow unloading. For example the Hinsz organ, it takes Hauptwerk more than 40 sconds to completely shut down.
I tested my memorys with WIN10's built-in tool, several times, no errors found.
Then I tested the memory stability with AIDA64. When I press "stop", the memory occupation drops instantly from 90% to 8% without any problems.

How can I fix this issue, please?

Best regards,
Christian Liu
chris840430@hotmail.com

magnaton

Re: Organ unloads very very slowly...

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 11:16 pm

Here is an forum thread that discussed this anomaly.
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16481&p=123884

For what its worth, I have an Intel i5 with 32GB running Win7 Professional and with my largest organ loaded Task Manager reports 24.4GB of memory in use. I just unloaded it and it took 27.6 seconds.

Danny B.
Last edited by magnaton on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Liu

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 12:29 am

magnaton wrote:Here is an forum thread that discussed this anomaly.
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16481&p=123884

For what its worth, I have an Intel i5 with 32GB running Win7 Professional and with my largest organ loaded Task Manager reports 24.4GB of memory in use. I just unloaded it and it took 27.6 minutes.

Danny B.

Thanks, Danny!
It is pretty strange, I can load any organ into memory without problem. In a normal speed, and pretty fast thanks to the SSD. And all the organs play very well, no breaking-up sounds.
However it just takes too much time when unloading! No matter how much free memory left, it just unloads very slowly...
I do have an SSD together with an HDD, and the paging file is in HDD only. Could this cause the problem? But as far as I know, Hauptwerk was not designed to "mess with" virtual memories...

Best regards
Christian Liu
chris840430@hotmail.com

IainStinson

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 6:34 am

There is a Windows 10 software bug which has slowed down the way the operating system frees memory when an application returns memory it no longer requires. When HW unloads an organ it returns the memory it no longer needs to the operating system. Before this bug was introduced into Windows this worked quickly but until MIcrosoft correct this in Windows 10 unloading an organ either explicitly or when you load another organ takes a long time,

There are other forum threads which mention this problem. see http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16514&hilit=Unload+Windows+10&start=15#p125448. There some indication that a patch from Microsoft might be forthcoming.

Other applications running on Windows 10 have also found this bug to be a problem.

If you aren’t using Windows 10, then this might be a new issue....

Iain

StephenGlover

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:07 am

It looks as if the latest Windows 10 build - Version 1803, build 17133.1 - has greatly reduced the Hauptwerk organ unloading times.

Salisbury Volume-3, which used to take around 40 seconds, now unloads in 9 seconds !!!!

Not sure what other 'goodies' I'll find.

Regards

Stephen
Stephen Glover

Return to Technical support