It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

Samples occasionally loading ultra slowly

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Samples occasionally loading ultra slowly

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 am

Just occasionally Hauptwerk loads sample sets ultra-slowly; this usually happens just after Windows has performed an update. A further re-boot makes no difference.

I haven't performed any measurements, but the factor is about four; so a large set, which might take a minute and a half to load normally, suddenly takes six minutes. The Paramount 450 takes so long that I need to find something else to do while I wait, but all sets are affected by the same amount. This always puts itself right after a day or less, but is annoying while it's happening. Once a set is loaded Hauptwerk behaves completely normally.

The most recent occurrence was yesterday evening, just after a Windows update as usual. This morning loading times are normal. The computer was left on overnight (as usual) but all software was unloaded.

This is not a serious problem, but it would be nice to solve it, and to know whether others have experienced this behaviour. It only happens on my desktop computer, which is an “all purpose” machine running a variety of software. My laptop - which also has a complete Hauptwerk system - has never done this. It only has two other pieces of software - the Firefox browser and an ancient image editor. Any thoughts?

HeAu

Re: Samples occasionally loading ultra slowly

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 9:43 am

Did you already check the system clock? Incorrect setting could lead to a strange behaviour.
Rgds
Heau

organsRgreat

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 pm

How would I find the system clock, and adjust it if it seems to be wrong? I suspect that if it was set incorrectly Hauptwerk wouldn't behave perfectly once the samples were loaded? It's only the sample loading that's affected.

I have two hard disks in a mirror RAID array, so that all data is duplicated; perhaps the two disks are taking a while to synchronise after a reboot?

Next time it happens I'll have a look at the Task manager and see if anything there is using more resources than it should. Meanwhile thanks for the suggestion.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 11:20 pm

It may be Windows is just re-indexing the drive or performing some other similar lengthy and disk-intensive background task after the Windows update. That's normal and expected; a PC might perform poorly for a day or so after applying a Windows update. Rebooting might possibly help, but Windows will probably still resume the relevant background task(s) after the reboot.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

abaymajr

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 8:37 am

B. Milan wrote:It may be Windows is just re-indexing the drive or performing some other similar lengthy and disk-intensive background task after the Windows update. That's normal and expected; a PC might perform poorly for a day or so after applying a Windows update. Rebooting might possibly help, but Windows will probably still resume the relevant background task(s) after the reboot.

Also, Microsoft seems to be injecting Meltdown and/or Spectre mitigation patches into new Win10 updates and releases. Those patches have direct impact on sampleset loading performance. After an OS reinstall or upgrade, I usually run Inspectre (https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm) to check which patch is currently on and turn all them off. Run Inspectre as an Administrador to be able to successfully change its settings.

Silken Path

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Wow, abaymajr - thank you. Just ran Inspectre on my laptop, rebooted it, and was SHOCKED at how fast Hauptwerk appeared and started loading. I actually bought this ThinkPad to run Hauptwerk, but my purchase of the advanced version and loading my first few bigger instruments coincided with the Spectre/Meldown mitigation, making me think this was NORMAL performance.

Since this notebook is only online for updates, I'm going to leave it this way.

Hat's off for the tip!

HeAu

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 12:07 pm

[quote="organsRgreat"]How would I find the system clock?[/quote]

German: Systemsteuerung (English: Controlcenter?) - Time, language and regional settings - Set date and time.

Martin Dyde wrote in this post: [url]http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16635[/url] :
Make sure that your PC's clock is correct and remains so, since an incorrect clock can cause Hauptwerk to think that caches need to be regenerated (as a result of timestamp comparisons).

Rgds
Heau

organsRgreat

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Thank you Brett - “a PC might perform poorly for a day or so after applying a Windows update” - I've been using Windows PCs for over 20 years and never knew that! I've now turned off indexing, which might help; but if the problem recurs I'll see if anything shows up in the Task Manager - if it doesn't I now know this is nothing to worry about.

abaymajr: A very useful tip - thankyou. I'll certainly keep Inspectre in mind if anything strange happens after an update.

HeAu: Ah - THAT clock! I thought you meant something to do with the CPU. I must keep an eye on the time and date, as occasionally Hauptwerk does regenerate a cache unexpectedly. I'd even wondered whether there's a limit to the number or organs it can keep cached, but I'd have thought the only limit was the amount of hard disk space available. Fortunately a modern multitasking PC usually has enough processing power to spare that one can do something else useful if there's an unexpected delay.

Thanks for all these helpful ideas everyone.

Return to Technical support