It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am

Windows 10 sleep hang

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

veganist

Windows 10 sleep hang

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Is there a more direct way of safely putting the computer to sleep between practice sessions than by first navigating to Engine > Advanced Use > Stop Midi? This is the only way I know of to prevent Hauptwerk from hanging when waking the computer. The manual describes this on p. 214 as "extreme performance issues". I was hoping for a keyboard shortcut or a single click somewhere on the interface, not buried levels down in the menu bar, as it's something I use every session.

TheOrganDoc

Re: Windows 10 sleep hang

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 6:06 pm

I have never had so many difficulty's with any of my Windows Computers, as I have with my Dell, Win 10-,64 bit 32 gig ram machine,
I am almost sure, that my next Hauptwerk Organ Computer, will be a Mac ! ! ! :roll: :oops:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 6:12 pm

I tried using Standby on my Hauptwerk Machine years ago and had the same problem, I wonder if a Mac will have the same problem ? ? ? TheOrganDoc, Mel

veganist wrote:Is there a more direct way of safely putting the computer to sleep between practice sessions than by first navigating to Engine > Advanced Use > Stop Midi? This is the only way I know of to prevent Hauptwerk from hanging when waking the computer. The manual describes this on p. 214 as "extreme performance issues". I was hoping for a keyboard shortcut or a single click somewhere on the interface, not buried levels down in the menu bar, as it's something I use every session.
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

telemanr

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 pm

I’ve always done the "stop midi" when putting HW to sleep. It would be nice if there were a shortcut.
It does seem to be necessary.
Rob Enns

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 11:19 pm

To add to others replies.

Some audio/MIDI interfaces/drivers are able to resume from sleep safely without needing to be stopped first, others not. We do have an enhancement request logged to see whether we can make Hauptwerk trap the Windows sleep/re-start events and stop/re-start audio/MIDI drivers automatically in response, but for now you do need to stop audio/MIDI before putting the computer to sleep (if using an audio/MIDI interfaces/driver that isn't able to tolerate being put to sleep itself).
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

abaymajr

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 am

veganist wrote:Is there a more direct way of safely putting the computer to sleep between practice sessions than by first navigating to Engine > Advanced Use > Stop Midi? This is the only way I know of to prevent Hauptwerk from hanging when waking the computer. The manual describes this on p. 214 as "extreme performance issues". I was hoping for a keyboard shortcut or a single click somewhere on the interface, not buried levels down in the menu bar, as it's something I use every session.

One solution is to put a virtual MIDI device between the real one and Hauptwerk. That is one of the reasons I use Bome MIDI Translator. It's always on and deals correctly with OS suspend/resume using both MIDI/audio devices I have. Regarding to the audio itself, a similar solution is to set Hauptwerk as a VSTi linked to a VST host like Cantabile or Reaper. VST interface is hot plug, and if the VST host works ok with a given audio card/device, the whole chain becomes suspend-friendly.

Return to Technical support