It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

Hauptwerk on Virtual Computer

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Ansy82

Hauptwerk on Virtual Computer

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 4:40 am

Hello,

Can I run Hauptwerk on Virtual Computer?

jkinkennon

Re: Hauptwerk on Virtual Computer

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 am

The easy answer is no. There may be some highly specialized full VM's that are up to the task, but certainly not with the software virtualizations that are commonly available such as VirtualBox.

sonar11

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Yes, in theory you can. The problems though, will be reduced performance (disk speed, so loading samples, and cpu as well, so reduced polyphony etc), as well as driver support for stuff like your usb sound card. I haven't tried recently, but have had issues in the past trying to get certain USB devices to pass through the host into guest VM. Keyboard and mice and usb drives work fine, but some other stuff, not necessarily.

Marco

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 5:28 pm

I have not tried HW, but I have had some experience trying to run a DAW in a VM, and as much as the CPU side of things is fine, the major problem is that I have found no way to reliably run ASIO in the VM, even with an external USB sound card I could not get ASIO to work, making real-time audio impossible to achieve for the time being, at least in VirtualBox.

Return to Technical support