Search:
Submit Search

MIDI stops working

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.

MIDI stops working

Postby John L » Wed May 16, 2018 5:08 am

Every now and again, usually when I'm away from the console, occasionally while playing, the Hauptwerk MIDI interface just stops working on all channels, input and output, for no apparent reason. I then do a "Reset organ/MIDI" and all is OK again.

As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the MIDI feed. There are no error messages, either from the application or from Windows.

Any suggestions for where to start with diagnostic work?

W7
HW 4.2.1.003 advanced
MIDI > Scarlett 6i6 audio/MIDI > USB > PC USB 2 port

Thanks.

John.
John L

Re: MIDI stops working

Postby IainStinson » Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 am

As your interface connects via USB, make sure that the power savings settings for your Windows system are set to never power down the USB ports. It may be that when the system is idle it is turning off the USB ports to save power.

Iain
IainStinson

Re: MIDI stops working

Postby John L » Sun May 20, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks for the quick reply Iain and my apologies for the slow acknowledgement, for some reason I didn't get the reply notification (edit: ahha, it seems one has to subscribe, even for threads one has started).

I had discounted USB power as a potential source of the problem because it would occasionally occur in-flight, so to speak. However I have now disabled all USB power controls and will see what happens. It may take a while to be sure as the problem is highly erratic.

Another thought occurred to me while I was reading your very interesting web site. My system is connected to t'Internet at all times so it might be that something "out there" is the cause. I'm running W7 and only download/install updates manually, so I don't think it's Windows Update causing the problem. I'll try disabling the Ethernet port if the problem persists.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

John.
John L

Return to Technical support