It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

Java 8 runtime to require paid Oracle license?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

John Murdoch

Java 8 runtime to require paid Oracle license?

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 10:14 am

Friends,

Am I correct in my belief that Hauptwerk requires the Java 8 "SE" runtime engine?

In my most recent automatic update from Java I found a notice which states:
Changes are coming which will impact your access to future releases of Java SE from Oracle. Corporate users will be impacted as soon as January 2019. For additional guidance please (click the link to the Oracle Java "roadmap").

So I clicked the link--and find that many Hauptwerk users, particularly those of us using Hauptwerk in churches, may have a serious issue.

Public updates for Oracle Java SE 8 will remain available for individual, personal use through at least the end of 2020.

Public updates for Oracle Java SE 8 released after January 2019 will not be available for business, commercial or production use without a commercial license.

If you are a CONSUMER using Java for individual, personal use, you will continue to have the same access to Oracle Java SE 8 updates as you do today through at least the end of 2020. In most instances, the Java-based applications you run are licensed separately by a company other than Oracle (for example, games you play on your PC are likely developed by a gaming company). These applications may run on the Java platform and be dependent on Oracle Java SE 8 updates beyond 2020. Accordingly, Oracle recommends you contact your application provider for details on how they plan to continue to provide application support to you.

Questions:
1. Does Hauptwerk use Java?
2. If yes, do we believe that the existing versions of Java 8 are stable enough to live without future updates?
3. Or do we face a situation where those of us who use Hauptwerk for anything other than "individual, personal use" (that is, anybody with a public performance license) will have to pay a subscription fee to Oracle?

I am very worried about this. When Sun launched Java they promised everybody that they would not attempt to "monetize" the runtime engine after zillions of applications were written depending upon it. Now here comes Oracle, after buying Sun, doing exactly what we all feared twenty years ago--demanding license payments from anybody using Java.

chr.schmitz

Re: Java 8 runtime to require paid Oracle license?

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 11:23 am

Hello John,

As far as I know Hauptwerk itself does not require Java, but the installation program does. And the current installation program needs an older version of Java to be installed. It does not work with the latest versions of Java.

It would be great, if future Hauptwerk installation tools would not need Java at all, as people report repeatedly issues with it.

Chris

evertjan

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 12:50 pm

The needed Java runtime is included in the Hauptwerkinstallation program. So, a separate installation of Java is not needed. It will be installed during installation of Hauptwerk.

The delivered Java version for Windows is 1.7.0 (from 2015).

chr.schmitz

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 12:55 pm

This seems to be different for the Mac version. Mac users have to install Java separately.

Chris

jkinkennon

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Even if Java weren't already included in the install we wouldn't need the Standard Edition (SE). All that is required is the Java runtime. I can't imagine there will ever be a charge for that.

Return to Technical support