It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

Special characters & LCD panel controls

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ludu

Re: Special characters & LCD panel controls

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 4:03 am

organtechnology wrote:So what does Mixtuur say about it? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Hello Thomas,

Mixtuur says this is a limitation of Hauptwerk, but I am not absolutely sur of that. Ten days ago, I have asked MDA if Hauptwerk can send accentuated characters to LCD panels, but up to now, I never received any clear response to my question. Therefore, I still ignore who is responsible…
Luc

NickNelson

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 5:14 am

I agree with Thomas' analysis. Either it's a graphics issue, or its due to the MIDI limitation. Either way, I'm pretty sure that HW is not responsible since, so far I know, there is nothing wrong with its implementation of MIDI.

Since Mixtuur is a European company, I'd have thought it would be very much in their interest to support a range of European language characters. Probably, emphasising this positive aspect would get you further with them.

Nick

evertjan

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 am

Luc,

You can test it by yourself through enabling the MIDI logging of Hauptwerk.

Go to Menu General settings | General Preferences and tab Advanced preferences
Activate "Diagnostics: log all MIDI messages received and sent?"
Click OK and answer the message "Keep MIDI logging" by YES

Turn on a stop with a special character like Céleste. Turn off that stop.
Turn off the MIDI logging.
Go to the Activity logfile in the Help menu and look at what is logged for this switch.
Or put the relevant part on the forum if you cannot interpretate the logging. The logged part is at the end of the activity logfile.

ludu

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 10:46 am

Hello evertjan,
Many thanks for this excellent tip. Following your instructions, it seems that Hauptwerk cannot send accentuated characters. I have written the following suggestion to MDA:

It seems that the window ‘Advanced MIDI applications: MIDI LCD panel control’ cannot send accentuated characters. Although physical LCD panels cannot display them, several European companies build alternative systems allowing it. This is the case for Mixtuur, Content and Donausoft Automation. Many European organs need those characters.

I hope they will accept…
Luc

jkinkennon

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 12:06 pm

It is certainly possible to come up with a workaround to send non-ASCII characters via MIDI. It's similar to the situation where integers get sent as 14-bit values using two bytes (not programmer friendly) due to the same MIDI 7-bit restriction. I notice that even the common Alt+xxx codes require more than 7 bits. The most obvious fix would be to double the message lengths to allow two bytes per character, but I cringe at the extra traffic requirement while many are still running 5-pin MIDI. Perhaps it is time to allow features like this for USB-MIDI only.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 7:41 pm

ludu wrote:You’re right Nick. I am waiting for this answer from Milan Digital Audio.

Hello Luc,

I've checked further into this since your email correspondence with us. Hauptwerk doesn't currently support extended characters (accented, etc.). Currently it only allows characters within the 7-bit ANSI character set, due to the 7-bit limitation that normally applies for bytes sent over MIDI (as the technical people in the forum thread surmised). It doesn't currently support extended multi-byte encodings, although we do have enhancement requests logged for extending the LCD message system to add support for the facilities potentially available with current/recent LCD and embedded screen hardware, such as the Mixtuur organ that Luc mentions in the thread that he's using ( https://www.mixtuur.com/en/home-organs/intrada/ ). That would of course need to be developed in cooperation with the relevant hardware makers (Midi Boutique, Mixtuur, etc.).
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

ludu

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 3:00 am

Many thanks, Brett. For your information, besides Mixtuur, Donausoft has also developed this kind of interface for Content, and their software (Do Midi) is available for everyone too.
Luc
Previous

Return to Technical support