It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 am

Manuals not properly playing

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

EricMcK

Manuals not properly playing

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi all,

Question about a HW 4 Advanced installation with a Classic Midiworks four-manual stack.

The organ and HW have been getting along fine for a few months using the Mt. Carmel sample set. Recently, FCCLA was added, and problems began when auto-detecting the Solo manual (previously unused manual #4).

After taking HW and the manuals completely back to square one and starting all over again, these are the current results:

- Great divisions do not speak on either sample set
- When playing the Great, the on-screen Console view shows the corresponding Great key(s) being played - as well as the Swell manual keys also playing identically (in Mt. Carmel and FCCLA)
- When playing the Choir manual, its corresponding keys on the Console view indicate playing, and the Solo manual also duplicates the playing (FCCLA only).

We have verified that all division channels are set separately, as follows:
Ch. 1: Great
Ch 2: Swell
Ch 3: Choir
Ch 4: Solo
Ch 5: Pedal

Any registration currently drawn on the Swell on either organ will also play from the Great without coupling. No Great voices speak at all.

As this is happening in two sample sets, and because we have verified that each hardware unit is broadcasting on its own channel (and HW agrees that everything is on its own channel), we think this must be a HW situation. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Eric

Edited to add: we also tried coupling the Great to Pedal on both sets, just to see if we could hear anything from the Great. Did not work.

EricMcK

Re: Manuals not properly playing

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 11:03 am

Just thought I'd give this a bump - anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

1961TC4ME

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 11:51 am

Hello Eric,

Being you haven't gotten a response as of yet I'll try to come in and help somewhat blind as I don't have HW up and running and in front of me, so I'm kind of going from memory.

First, with the way Hauptwerk now works there is zero need to be concerned with MIDI channels or what channel the keyboards are on and is perhaps part of the issue. I'd start by clearing all MIDI settings and start over, one organ, one keyboard pedal board at a time. Be sure the MIDI boxes for each keyboard / pedal board is ticked. You may very well get a message upon starting Hauptwerk that some of the items are not online, that's fine, just select to ignore them and start Hauptwerk anyways. Once Hauptwerk is up and running go in and tick any MIDI boxes for the corresponding keyboards or pedal board that are not ticked, then you're good to go to move to the next step. Auto detect one keyboard at a time and follow the lowest / highest key procedure and click 'done' once it's confirmed. If by chance you get a message after clicking 'done' that asks you something to the effect if you want it to control this and another click 'no' or click this 'one only' as I suspect what's happening right now is you have a physical manual or manuals mapped to more than one virtual keyboard by accident. If you've cleared the MIDI settings prior to re-auto detecting you should not get this message. As for swell and crescendo, you will also have to auto detect them again as well, no big deal. If you find after auto detecting the pedals travel in the wrong direction simply select to adjust manually and click the box to invert their position and you're done.

Although it was different with earlier versions of Hauptwerk, from day one with the latest versions of Hauptwerk I have never had to be concerned with what channel things are on as Hauptwerk takes care of this automatically. Just auto detect each keyboard, pedal board, swell shoe etc., and you should be back in business. I hope this at least somewhat helps.

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EricMcK

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Thank you Marc! Just to clarify, are you suggesting clearing the MIDI settings in HW, or on the console manuals and pedalboard, or both?

1961TC4ME

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello Eric,

No, just clear the MIDI settings in Hauptwerk in order to delete any miss-intended settings you may now have but can't find, but you could actually do both and reset the keyboards as well. All that matters is as long as the keyboards and pedal board are sending a signal (little green light in the lower right hand corner of the screen lights up when you depress a key) and their boxes are ticked in the MIDI ports section, Hauptwerk does not care what MIDI channel you are using. As I mentioned, since the introduction of v4 I have not needed to concern myself with what channels anything is even on. You right click on the virtual pedal or manual, select auto detect, do the lowest / highest key thing, click 'done' and you are indeed done. This goes for new sample set installations or one where perhaps you're trying something new under a different instance of Hauptwerk. It's that simple. :D

Keep in mind, if you do a MIDI reset, you will also lose all registrations you've saved to your physical pistons, etc., but the virtual pistons / registrations should still work, you can then simply re-auto detect the physical pistons, cancel etc., to the virtual ones. If you don't want this to happen I'd then just reset the keyboards and pedal board channels to one or whatever, again it should not matter. Then, auto detect each keyboard / pedal board one at a time and if you get asked if you want it to control both or one, select that you do not want it to control both and that you only want it to control the one selected. This is likely where your issue actually is right now, you've got a couple manuals set to control more than one.

Marc

Return to Technical support