It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

Windows Defender prevents seeing input port

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

TimM

Windows Defender prevents seeing input port

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 10:05 am

I just had an interesting experience that I'll share for community edification, and also to request more information if anyone has any.

I've had my Hauptwerk system for a year. The computer I bought came with a year of free McAffee antivirus. All worked great. Then yesterday I got a message saying that my free year had expired, and they automatically turned on Windows Defender to take its place. When I started Hauptwerk, it gave me an error message that it could not detect my MIDI input port. Rebooting several times did not fix it. Then the coincidence struck me. I turned off Defender and Hauptwerk worked again.

This morning Haupwerk again gave me the 'input port cannot be opened' error. So I checked Defender and it had turned itself back on. I turned it off again, and Hauptwerk worked.

I would not have thought that Defender would prevent Hauptwerk from seeing my MIDI input port, but there it is. Now if only I can get Defender to stay off!

NickNelson

Re: Windows Defender prevents seeing input port

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 pm

TimM wrote: Now if only I can get Defender to stay off!

Not sure that's wise if it's your only anti-virus protection.

I use Windows Defender (only) and have no trouble with MIDI devices. The only thing I can suggest would
be to try reinstalling the MIDI device drivers while Defender is running.

Nick

TimM

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:04 am

I'm not worried about viruses because this is a dedicated organ computer. I have the WiFi disabled so it has no internet connection. This is good with Hauptwerk, because among other things it prevents Windows from doing an automatic update while I'm in the midst of an important practice session. In fact, if you watch internet access via Task Manager, even when you are not in a browser all kinds of internet access goes on. I have no idea why; it must be various apps regularly checking to see if an update is available, or perhaps outside malware pinging for holes. I'm just mystified over why Defender prevents Hauptwerk from seeing my MIDI ports. That does not seem to be the sort of thing Defender is intended for. Oh well.

1961TC4ME

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 9:05 am

Have you tried turning off automatic updates?

Marc

jbittner

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 10:12 am

It's not likely that Defender virus protection is your problem as suspect software is quarantined and remains so whether Defender is running or not; however, there may be other Windows security features, such as the firewall that are toggled when you turn it off.

I'd start by having a look at the Firewall settings. Even though the firewall is associated with network traffic, it could be interfering with your device driver, especially if the driver is attempting to go out on the network to check for updates. Also, make sure that all of the firewall notifications are turned on so you can see what it's doing.

You also might want to have a look at other security settings such as Device Security and App & Browser control for possible clues. Finally, check Device & Performance Health, also under the Control Panel Security settings for driver issues.

It's also worth pointing out that just because your machine is not connected to the Internet it does not mean it is safe from viruses. Computer viruses are transmitted via software. The Internet is the most common vector for software viruses, but disks, USB drives, and virtually anything you connect your computer to can infect it, so it's wise to always have some sort of protection in place.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

Return to Technical support