It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 am

Hard drive crashed; would like to replace it with larger one

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ChangedForever

Hard drive crashed; would like to replace it with larger one

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am

Inevitable happened. Drive will not get past "missing boot mgr" message and repair disk unable to repair drive.

I'm going to assume all data that remains on disk is good...

Might as well put a 2 TB SSD in the system for a replacement; plan to make the replacement drive primary and make the current non-bootable disk a temporary slave - once booted, IF I'm able to see my Hauptwerk stuff on the old disk (AND all my samples), just drag it over. Shut system down, remove disk and all should work again( ??...). Plan to create two partitions; win 7 partition and a Hauptwerk partition for the Hauptwerk software and samples so the next time this happens I can simply reload Windows.

I imagine there are config / registry files that need to be moved to the replacement disk so Hauptwerk will start up? Is there a walk-through available as to how to do this? Running Win 7 pro - has worked well the past few years. Did a search on "crashed hard drive" - couldn't find much information. Anybody out there done this? What about all my licenses on my Hauptwerk key - I imagine everything is still on it but the licenses are certainly tucked away quietly somewhere on the hard drive...

Help please,
Mark
Last edited by ChangedForever on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1961TC4ME

Re: Hard drive crashed; I'm going to get sick

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 10:11 am

Mark,

Before you go into full panic mode I have something for you to try. My computer on occasion will do basically the same thing, I hit the power button and Windows will not start and instead I get a message basically referring to some link that is missing, or something to that effect. This started happening with increasing frequency a few years ago, in fact just about every other time I turned it on, and it dawned on me that the weather had changed from more humid to much dryer because it was late in the year (I have had similar issues with other connections in the past due to humidity levels changing dramatically). What I did was.... with the computer OFF and unplugged, find the cable that goes from the hard drive that plugs into the motherboard, disconnect it and re-connect it. In my case, after doing this the problem went away completely and I attributed it to just a connection that wasn't passing a signal. If it does it again with frequency I now know what to do. Worth a try anyways. My experience with hard drives that have acted up in the past is you should be able to at least get it to boot and get Windows up and running, it may take several attempts, then once it does boot you can do a 'disc check' to see if you have bad sectors or what's going on.

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChangedForever

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks Marc - will try that. Thanks for the fast repy.

Mark

evertjan

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Mark

After you have re-connect the disc cable and the fault still remains, there is a video how to repair it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHMJgvGf0Fc
You need your Windows 7 installation DVD for it.
Start the PC from this DVD
In the menu, choose Repair
Windows automatically repairs it this if the boot manager is really missing (it's copy a new file to the disc).
Look at the video

sjkartchner

Re: Hard drive crashed; would like to replace it with larger

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 2:27 am

The windows registry is huge. I don't know how you would ever figure out all of the needed registry changes to make what you are contemplating work properly (if at all). It would be far more efficient and effective to freshly install Windows and the desired program(s) on the new drive. This would also provide a fresh registry to work from (the registry tends to get unnecessarily bloated over the years which can negatively affect performance).

The Hauptwerk licenses are only on the usb key which is why you can use it on multiple computers if desired.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

ChangedForever

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 4:34 am

Thank your very much, Stan :D .

Indeed I kept on researching this topic and found somewhere on this site an article indicating everything is "on the key" (I'll be dad-gum is I can find it again!?!...).

Having kept all my samples, it seems to me all I have to do is load Win 10 onto the new 2 TB SSD, load the Haupterk Key software, load the samples and I'll be back to playing again...

Thanks for the reply,
Mark

IainStinson

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:19 am

The HW key only contains the codes to enable licenced sample sets and Hauptwerk; all of your settings are elsewhere.
To restore your system you should reinstall HW and the latest version of the key software.Then install each sample set.

To recover the settings for HW and the sample sets you should restore the latest HW backup you have. This may be on the damaged disk (check the manual for its location). If you can’t access a backup, then you will have to set up each sample set again and reset your combination files.

(It is a good idea to take backup manually to an external device...).

Installing HW will make the necessary Windows registry values.

If you can read your broken drive reliably you can probably copy the HW file structure to you new device and potentially save some time. You need to be familiar with Windows to do this and need to take care with file permissions. This way of doing things is probably not supported by MDA.

Good luck.
Iain

ChangedForever

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks lain; looks like I'm on the right path. Will let the group know if any problems come up :?. Will be a week or so...

Thanks,
Mark

Return to Technical support