It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

HW volume & trim

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

atugores

HW volume & trim

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:43 am

Hello to everybody, I'm not a sound technician so I do understand very poor about this, so my question is, when using HW what is best.
To have the audio trim db at -10 and the volume at 100, and play with the trim lo lower or increase the sound volume ? or,
To have the audio trim at 0 and the volume at 100, and play with the volume lo lower or increase the sound volume.
As usual I would appreciate your help, thanks

IainStinson

Re: HW volume & trim

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 am

1. Set trim so that when playing a sample set with full organ and big chords the audio level display is just out of the red section. Best to do this with the volume low.
2. Then adjust the volume level for comfortable listening and modify your amplifiers / preamps if necessary.

The level of recordings is based on the volume and trim levels and,at need further adjustment to be ‘correct’.

atugores

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Thank you, I did try this and with trim at 0 it never reaches the red, that is OK but the problem is what to do with the output trim of the motu ultraLite AVB sound card, should I set this to maximum (it goes from 0 to -24), I wonder which is the best setting for the 3 controls to get the best sound, thank you once more.

magnaton

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 3:32 pm

I wouldn't set any volume control to the max! You have to think in a sequential manner: source, bridge, & output device. Fortunately there are amplitude adjustments in each area :-)

The source is Hauptwerk with actually 3 volume adjustments: Individual audio group levels (i.e. Default) found in the Audio menu, then overall Volume & Trim as the subject of this thread.
The bridge (in your case) is your MOTU AVB interface. It too has sliders and adjustments for volume as well as EQ, compression, and reverb!
The output device could be a headphone amp, traditional stereo deck, powered speakers, etc. which also has its own volume controls.

Since output devices vary widely, you'll have to determine what works best for you. If you are satisfied with your current sound, I'd leave it be. If you experiment and want to turn up the MOTU volume, be sure to turn the HW volume down. Think of it as a balancing act.
NOTE: The Hauptwerk audio level display is connected to your ASIO driver used for your MOTU interface. If you overdrive the MOTU, the Hauptwerk display will go into the red along with hearing some ugly distortion.

My advice is to set the output device and MOTU volume levels at certain level and leave them alone. That level should be at your desired volume at full organ or maybe a tad higher, but with the HW Volume slider at 85 or 90. This way if you load a different sample set that needs to be turned up you have the capability to do so within easy reach. With it being at 100 you can only go down and not up so you'll have to resort to a different menu or the MOTU mixing software for adjustment.

Hope this helps,

Danny B.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 4:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16198&p=121653&hilit=volume#p121653

According to Martin Dyde it makes no difference to audio quality whether you achieve that level by adjusting the 'Trim dB' setting or the 'Volume' slider; the two simply add together in effect. (The former is intended as a static setting, to balance output levels between different organs, and the latter is intended for temporary level reductions, and can be controlled in real-time from MIDI.)

atugores

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 11:25 am

Thank you very much, the way you explain this help me a lot, now I understand all this a little bit better, thank you.

Return to Technical support