It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:13 pm

installer caused me some grief when updating to 2.20

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Marco

installer caused me some grief when updating to 2.20

PostWed Nov 08, 2006 12:14 am

The 2.20 update is great, I am glad at the various improvements, however the installer did give me some grief when updating:

First of all now it's impossible to select which directory to install HW2 in without going the 'complex installation' route (I usually don't install HW2 under program files). Only the VST directory is selectable.

If the HW2 install window loses focus for a second (say, alt-tabbing somewhere else, which I did by chance) the update driver window for the dongle will pop up *under* the HW2 window, giving the impression that it is unresponsive and needs to be terminated.

When installing in the 'complex way' it is unclear from the help text that the data in question will go in a folder UNDER the one specified: for example I picked my old HW2 folder for user settings, and a new user settings directory was picked under it: it ought to have been clarified that a folder was going to be created under that one with a certain name.

After about 4 reinstalls everything seems to be working again, thanks :)

mdyde

PostWed Nov 08, 2006 8:07 am

Hello Marco,

First of all now it's impossible to select which directory to install HW2 in without going the 'complex installation' route (I usually don't install HW2 under program files). Only the VST directory is selectable.

That's by design, in an attempt to reduce potentially confusing options presented to inexperienced computer users. However, I don't think that's a shortcoming since you can easily adjust the installation folders by just selecting the 'Custom' installation option, which gives you full control if you want it.

If the HW2 install window loses focus for a second (say, alt-tabbing somewhere else, which I did by chance) the update driver window for the dongle will pop up *under* the HW2 window, giving the impression that it is unresponsive and needs to be terminated.

Yes - I'm aware of that. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about it since the driver installer is a third-party piece of software and is a separate application. In practice, I don't think many people would Alt+Tab during installation, and you only have to Alt+Tab to it. However, I've logged it as a documentation bug, in that the installation instructions should include a note to that effect.

When installing in the 'complex way' it is unclear from the help text that the data in question will go in a folder UNDER the one specified: for example I picked my old HW2 folder for user settings, and a new user settings directory was picked under it: it ought to have been clarified that a folder was going to be created under that one with a certain name.

Hauptwerk v2's installer has actually always worked that way. I've logged as a minor documentation enhancement that a note to that effect should be included in the installation background information section in the user guide. I don't want to clutter the installer screens with it, since I can't think of any cases where it would be necessary for a user to know that information, unless he/she is trying to 'hack' an installation - the installer should automatically detect and upgrade any existing installation if present without needing to select any folders (unless it is broken, i.e. some of its folders have been moved or removed manually).

All the best,
Martin.

Return to Technical support