It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am

Computer Upgrade

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

GregMunday

Computer Upgrade

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Is there anything I need to know before I upgrade my Hauptwerk computer? I'm Going from Win XP 64 8 gig of memory quad core to Win 7 Pro 32 gigs of memory 8 Core machine. Is it just reloading the software and move the dongle?

Thanks,
Greg

IainStinson

Re: Computer Upgrade

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 7:28 pm

If you take a HW backup on your "old" computer. this can save you some time and effort in setting up the samples sets you have. (Manual pg 26 and following)

You will need to
1. Make a HW backup of the current setup on your "old" machine onto some external media.
(Note the backup is only a backup of your HW system settings - you still need to install each sample set on the new computer)
2. Ensure that the "new" Windows system is up to date with MS patches; Use Windows Update.
3. Make any changes you made to the version of Windows on the previous machine to ensure that the audio works cleanly.
4. install the dongle drivers (download from the HW site)
5. install any drivers for you audio card/controller (download the most recent from the supplier's site)
6. install any midi drivers (if necessary)
7.Install the latest version of HW (including St Anne's)
You can then test your setup wit St Annes.

8. Install each of the sample sets you have.

9. Restore the HW backup; this will recover the settings you had on the previous machine.
You may find that some of the device names HW sees (for midi and audio) have changed from your previous system - in which case you are probably better off re detecting the devices for each sample set /instrument you have.

When you've finished, take a backup!

(There are some unsupported ways of speeding up the process by copying files from the old machine, but you need to have a clear understanding of the file organisation used by HW and sufficient Windows skills to move things around and potentially change file access permissions.

Iain

GregMunday

Re: Computer Upgrade

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks, Looks straight forward to me...

Return to Technical support