It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

Shrinking capacity of SSD - help!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Organorak

Shrinking capacity of SSD - help!

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 5:11 pm

The amount of space on my C:drive (a 256GB SSD) is shrinking to the extent that I soon won't be able to install any more organs! I've done a disk cleanup, uninstalled any software that I don't need, deleted all my temporary files, and emptied my recycle bin, but still I'm running short of space. So a few questions:

(1) is there anything else I can do to shrink down anything apart from the non-Hauptwerk cache folder?
(2) if not, can I add a second 256GB SSD and distribute my organ caches across multiple disks?
(3) if not, I guess I'll be hoping Santa drops a 512GB disk down the chimney this Christmas. If I take an image of the 256GB disk using Macrium, can I copy it to a blank 512GB disk and expect Windows to work just fine, or should I start again with a fresh Windows plus Hauptwerk installation?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional. I did try the upgrade to Windows 10 but the result wasn't satisfactory and so I downgraded again. However, that does allow me the option of either a fresh Windows 7 or Windows 10 installation if I don't attempt to transfer a disk image. I also have a 1TB hard drive for non-Hauptwerk data files.

IainStinson

Re: Shrinking capacity of SSD - help!

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 10:01 am

To reduce use of the c: drive (the ssd) in Windows:

Set HW to put its files on another drive (start at pg 18 in the manual). You can separate
- User data (your setttings , combinations, etc.)
- Sample sets and components (all the parts of each sample set needed)
- “internal working data” (This is essentially the place where the loaded sample set caches are stored; there is a section of this for each of the four configurations)

You could store all of these on a drive other than the c: (ssd) drive. You probably want to have the “internal working data” on the fastest drive on your computer to improve organ loading times, so you probably want this on the ssd (c:) drive.

The HW installer can move these three sets of data for you (and it works but I would always take a backup first (backup of the drive and a HW backup (the HW backup only has your “user data” in it and not the “sample set” or internal “working data.”))

If you only have the cache (“internal working”) data on the c: drive, then if you have some organs loaded which you don’t need, in some of the configurations then you can remove them via HW (File | uninstall) and selecting what HW is to remove. If you are confident with Windows and know the organ IDs of the organ cache files you no longer need, then you can go into the folder storing the cache files and delete them: this will not be supported or recommended by MDA.

HW does not provide any way to keep selected cache files on different drives. If and only if you are knowledgeable about Windows you can do this using symbolic links (see http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12699&p=93589&hilit=mklink#p93652) but this needs considerable care. I have done this it works. MDA do not support this approach.

I have also replaced by small ssd with a larger one. I bought my new one from Crucial and I essentially copied the small ssd on to the new one following their installation instruction (for example see (http://content.crucial.com/content/dam/crucial/ssd-products/ssd-family/documents/installation-guides/crucial-ssd-install-guide-en_gb.pdf)). This worked very well. Be sure you follow every step so that you end up with a licensed and working Windows System.

You could also add a second SSD to your system if that would work with your motherboard and get HW to relocate your “installation” to the new ssd drive.

Some thoughts for you to consider.

iain

mnailor

Re: Shrinking capacity of SSD - help!

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 am

When my Windows 7 machine with 2 internal 512GB SSDs ran out of space on the SSD dedicated to cache, I plugged in an external 1TB SSD and moved the cache to it. If your machine has a USB 3.x port available, that's a better performing option than putting cache on a hard drive, and easier than adding or replacing an internal drive.

Return to Technical support