It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am

INTEL i7 7700hq Audio output sounds like 8bit

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Doddy

INTEL i7 7700hq Audio output sounds like 8bit

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 4:14 am

I am asking this on behalf of somebody who has this Intel based i7 7700hq and is exhibiting bad quality audio from HW, much like sounding like 8bit resolution.

Normal videos, CD's and youtube streams sounds great, but HW and VST's tried (Kontact 5, G Orgue) does not.

He has 16gb of ram using onboard sound chip (no soundcards) 10ms response times using asio4all driver, has tried St Annes and Strassburg organs to no avail.

HW version 4.1.1.012 and despite repeated attempts to illicit the information has not provided the software type and version of his MAC.

He is convinced that the internal audio is at fault and is now looking at purchasing an external audio interface like either the UMC202HD and the Scarlett Solo after adice that the internal audio chip of the MAC cannot cope with the HW audiostream.

Any ideas folks?
Last edited by Doddy on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert 'Doddy' Sumsion

'You don't know what you don't know'

adrianw

Re: MAC i7 7700hq Audio output sounds like 8bit

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 4:57 am

The iMac internal audio with OS X drivers works fine for HW and everything else.

However, it seems the asio4all driver is not working if everything sounds fine except HW and the VST stuff using the driver. My guess is that if he ditches the asio4all driver (really not necessary on Macs, which have intrinsically low latency), all will be well.

jkinkennon

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 12:04 pm

ASIO4ALL is for Windows, not for the Mac. This individual is running a PC and needs to ditch ASIO4ALL completely and move to an external audio interface. We tried to explain this on another forum.

Doddy

Re: INTEL i7 7700hq Audio output sounds like 8bit

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 12:36 pm

jkinkennon wrote:ASIO4ALL is for Windows, not for the Mac. This individual is running a PC and needs to ditch ASIO4ALL completely and move to an external audio interface. We tried to explain this on another forum.

Only the external audio interface bit, you never accepted that there is a fundamental problem with the Op's HW installation and still obviously do not.

And the issue of the asio4all never even came into the conversation until I posted the results of my question here.

I do not intend having another argument with you here. Enough is enough!
Last edited by Doddy on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert 'Doddy' Sumsion

jkinkennon

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Is this a legal Mac? I did a search for issues with the i7 7700hq and the only cases of audio problems I saw were on forums for hacked versions of Mac O/S. I'm willing to be helpful as are a lot of us here on the forum, but it is rare to see issues with Apple core audio aside from obvious possibilities like overdriving the audio output.

The original poster mentioned two PCs that he tested with, one an i7 and the other an i5. He spoke about the latency using ASIO4ALL, yet the title of this post is "MAC i7 7700hq Audio output sounds like 8bit". That doesn't make any logical sense. Is it a PC? If it is a Mac then what model? If it's a hacked install then it should not be discussed on this forum.

Again, if it is a PC please be aware that the first step is to ditch ASIO4ALL and get an external audio interface. If it is a Mac then discussions of internal soundcard options are not appropriate.

organtechnology

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Doddy wrote:I am asking this on behalf of somebody who has this MAC and is exhibiting bad quality audio from HW, much like sounding like 8bit resolution.

Normal videos, CD's and youtube streams sounds great, but any vst organ sampler tried (Hauptwerk, Kontact 5 and other organ sampler software) does not.

He has 16gb of ram using onboard sound chip (no soundcards) 10ms response times using asio4all driver, has tried St Annes and Strassburg organs to no avail.

HW version 4.1.1.012 and despite repeated attempts to illicit the information has not provided the software type and version of his MAC.

He is convinced that the internal audio of the MAC is at fault and is now looking at purchasing an external audio interface like either the UMC202HD and the Scarlett Solo after adice that the internal audio chip of the MAC cannot cope with the HW audiostream.

Any ideas folks?

Normal videos, CD's and youtube streams sounds great, but any vst organ sampler tried (Hauptwerk, Kontact 5 and other organ sampler software) does not.

Also Apple shows the i7-7700hq on a Mac Book Pro. Is that the computer you are using? If so, why are you running Hauptwerk as a VST? This is not the normal mode for Hauptwerk. Try installing Hauptwerk as a stand alone organ using the Hauptwerk installer for stereo (2 channels). That should be your starting point not the VST setup.

If you are running a hacked version of OSX on PC hardware, we are unable to help you as this is a violation of both the Hauptwerk and the Apple EULA.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Doddy

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:27 pm

What did I write in the first line of my OP?

"I am asking this on behalf of somebody who has this Intel i7 7700hq (not mac) based machine and is exhibiting bad quality audio from HW, much like sounding like 8bit resolution"

It is not my machine, the HW package is running standalone, other VSTs (including GOrgue) dont run either.

Besides not running any of these applications John is of the opinion that an external audio interface will sort the problem out.

I am sick to death of the false inuendos and misinformation being propogated over multiple websites so let John and the owner (who has declined good advice to register on this website and ask for help resolving the problem) of the faulty HW installation get on with it
Robert 'Doddy' Sumsion

mnailor

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:55 pm

You referred to it as a MAC twice in your original post, nor does an i7 7700 processor rule out a Mac as far as most of us would know off the top of our heads. We have reasons to be confused by your posts. Perhaps you can try again to get the facts about the system from your friend. At least be patient with us for trying to untangle this. Everyone is actually trying to help.

If it's a Windows PC, the use of on-board sound is not recommended, period, and asio4all is also not workable. The advice already given to use an audio interface is correct for a Windows PC. It's a requirement.

If it turns out to be a Mac instead, its on-board sound and native driver are supposed to be fine for Hauptwerk.

Edit: The i7 7700hq was used in recent Mac as well as Windows computers:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macb ... specs.html
Last edited by mnailor on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 11:17 pm

First off, no need for anyone to get their undies in a bunch here. If anything, the crappy sound would be the cause of my indigestion (that or your friend) :mrgreen: and not the answers given. Anyone here right now reading this is looking at one if not the most helpful sites with unlimited and friendly support by it's users out there. I will admit, reading through this post and seeing descriptions of Mac, VST, faulty installation and so on have had me a bit perplexed as well. This is not a case of faulty installation and it doesn't matter if it's an i7, i5, i3 or a 1956 Edsel. If we're dealing with a PC then it is quite simple really. If your friend is reluctant to register here, give precise details concerning his setup, the issues, and ask for help, then all you can really do is pass along the advice given here by mnailor and the others, no need for me to repeat any of it. Follow it, problem solved, and as you say "get on with it."

Amen.

Marc

jkinkennon

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 10:39 am

I am trying to assist the user directly and have requested the lacking information and suggested we correspond offline for now until we have some facts and results to post. Thanks for the backup. This is just a technical issue that will have a solution.

Return to Technical support