It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

Absolute Beginner!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

RichardW

Re: Absolute Beginner!

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 pm

ChrisNabil wrote:Thank you, I think i am going to buy a Roland AT900. I will have to look at the user manual online to see what it has. It came out in about 2008 i think so its not that old.

It certainly looks promising. There are inputs for both audio and video channels. It looks as if the audio will work on its own and stereo will be possible. So, four channel surround will not be directly possible but it will certainly get you started.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14173 ... 262#manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14173 ... 242#manual

Regards,
Richard

ChrisNabil

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 5:22 pm

RichardW wrote:
ChrisNabil wrote:Thank you, I think i am going to buy a Roland AT900. I will have to look at the user manual online to see what it has. It came out in about 2008 i think so its not that old.

It certainly looks promising. There are inputs for both audio and video channels. It looks as if the audio will work on its own and stereo will be possible. So, four channel surround will not be directly possible but it will certainly get you started.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14173 ... 262#manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14173 ... 242#manual

Regards,

Hello Richard,

I really appreciate you taking the time to look into it!. It all seems really promising, i have actually just bought the Roland Platinum which is newer than the plain 900. The 900 was made in 2007 and the Platinum 2012 so the technology in the organ should be pretty up-to-date. I wont have the organ till the end of this month so i will keep reading the Hauptwerk manual to gain knowledge.

Many thanks once again Richard!

Chris

Axle

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 4:59 am

Hi Chris,

Just wondering how you are going with your Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum and Hauptwerk. I have an older Atelier AT90R and Hauptwerk works beautifully from my Sony Vaio laptop with 8 Gb of memory and a Steinberg audio interface. The speakers on the Atelier are particularly good as you will have found and it produces a big sound with extended bass response that even allows you to hear 32 ft stops quite well.

I bought the full version of Hauptwerk but have not yet bought any organs. I do have a number of demo organs particularly from Sonus Paradisi at http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/cat ... ree-stuff/ . Their Doesburg and Rotterdam organs are quite full-featured free organs and work well with 8 Gb of memory. If you enjoy theatre organ (as I do) as well as classical organ, then you might be surprised by the tremolo on the Doesburg organ. It is lush and beautiful on 8 ft stops and reminiscent of a cinema organ. Of course you can also get Hauptwerk theatre organs and Paramount have a demo available. However you will need to add reverb to such HW theatre organs. The Doesburg comes with a huge reverb which still allows the stops to sound clearly.

I’m interested in your progress because there seems to be very few Atelier owners using Hauptwerk.

Alex

rayjcar

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 pm

To get started quickly and eliminate extraneous factors, try the following when your Atelier arrives:

Install Hauptwerk on your computer. The demo version is sufficient.
Connect only the MIDI OUT port of the Altelier to the MIDI IN port of whatever midi interface you have attached to your computer.

Start up Hauptwerk. and follow the instructions in the Quick Start section starting on page 34 of the user guide. The main point here is to ensure that the midi out of your Atelier and your midi interface on your computer are recognized.

To keep things simple, you can use the existing audio interface on your computer, and just connect headphones or whatever external speaker you would normally use with your computer. You can worry about connecting the audio to the external inputs of the Atelier later on.

Load St. Anne's Moseley and use the auto-detect procedure on page 40 of the user guide. Based on the Roland documentation, the upper manual will output on midi channel 4, the lower on channel 3, and the pedal on channel 2. Also, you need to auto-detect the expression pedals, which will output on channel 16. Once you have completed the above, playing a note on your real console should cause the corresponding key or pedal to actuate on the virtual console on your computer monitor. Actuating the expression pedals should cause a correspending movement on the virtual console. Clicking on a virtual draw knob on the computer screen will enable the corresponding rank of pipes, and depressing keys should result in sound coming out.

Once you get that far, the addition of piston functionality and routing your sound output through the Atelier external inputs will be easy.

When doing all this you will of course want to have no voices activated on the Roland itself, as you want to make sure that any sounds you hear are generated solely by Hauptwerk.

Good luck,

Ray
Previous

Return to Technical support