It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am

Midiworks swell pedal configuration

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Pipedream

Midiworks swell pedal configuration

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm

For reasons unknown, my Midiworks swell pedal has ceased to function. I've been through the auto configure process, but I can't seem to diagnose this - ideas gratefully received!

Here's where it is:
Manuals configured no problem, all working
Checked all pedal board connections
Pedal board is functioning properly
Lights on CMK manuals indicate midi signal from swell pedal when activated
When I right click the swell pedal on the console screen to autoconfigure, the dialgue box comes up, I move the swell pedal as indicated, but the "done" box does not activate.

Have I missed some steps?

Many thanks!

Tweedle_Dee

Re: Midiworks swell pedal configuration

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 7:26 pm

I had something like this happen when one of the potentiometers (crescendo pedal) was constantly sending MIDI data due to noise. You might check things out with the little app "MIDI-OX" which is a handy utility to have.

Pipedream

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 pm

I have something called MidiMedic, but not sure how it works. Does this give you similar information?

magnaton

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Seems like the swell pedal isn't sending out MIDI data. Bring up the Audio, MIDI, and Performance window just to confirm. You should see the virtual leds light up to signify a MIDI signal is being sent when any key, pedal, piston, etc. is depressed. If no virtual leds light when specifically when moving your swell pedal up or down, then contact CMW for further troubleshooting assistance. The fault could be wiring, the set screw on your potentiometer (if rotary), or something with the encoder board.

Danny B.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Just out of curiosity.... When launching Hauptwerk recently have you by chance gotten any messages that come up saying some (or one) device is missing?

Marc

OrganoPleno

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 am

Pipedream wrote:I have something called MidiMedic, but not sure how it works. Does this give you similar information?

Yes, that one works just fine. In the program, you choose which MIDI Input Port to monitor, and then it displays every MIDI message received, showing which Channel it's on, and all the specifics.

See the display for "Note On" and "Note Off" as you use a Keyboard or the Pedal Board. See other messages when you press a Piston (if your Installation has Pistons). Then try the Swell Pedal, which (when moving) should give a full stream of Messages, for a given Channel and a given Message Type and all varying smoothly in their final number (ideally ranging from zero to 127, or from 127 back to zero).

Good Luck!

jkinkennon

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 10:54 am

In a case like this where a swell pedal cannot be detected because of constant data from another pedal or potentiometer it can be helpful to set all pedals and other potentiometers all the way off as they tend to produce fewer spurious messages when turned all the way on or off. In their midrange positions they are more prone to generating extra messages. This sometimes allows autodetect to work correctly for other pedals not to mention helping autodetect stops and pistons.

Of course the best solution is to fix the problem by using shielded cable and grounding the pedal frames with a separate ground wire, not with the shield of the potentiometer cable. Don't forget to ground unused analog inputs to your encoder in whatever way the manufacturer recommends.

Pipedream

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated. To update:
Checked the Audio, Midi and Performance window - the swell pedal light indicates a signal, but no channel assignment. Next. went to the Organ Expression/Cresc Pedals and Sliders box in the Organ Settings menu and in the Input from Midi pedal/slider/knob window I have selected:
Midi Control changes(most common)
Midi in Port - Saffire LE (correct)
Midi Channel 4, ( I'm guessing this is correct - nothing else is assigned to this channel)
Controller is set to 011 hex 8 Expression.
Hit OK.
Swell pedal not working.

Is the problem assigning the correct channel? If so, have I missed something in the procedure?

Thanks so much again for your assistance
Chris

OrganoPleno

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 10:19 pm

Pipedream wrote:Have I missed something in the procedure?

Yes. What you are doing is telling Hauptwerk to accept those MIDI messages which YOU GUESS your Swell Pedal is sending.

You would do better to FIND OUT what the Swell Pedal is sending (and alter that if necessary and appropriate, according to the User Guide for the Swell Pedal). And THEN you can tell Hauptwerk more exactly what it should be looking for. Of course, once the Swell Pedal is known to be sending proper MIDI messages (free of any spurious signals), then the Hauptwerk should also find the Swell Pedal easily via Auto-Detect.

Remember... Step One is to find out what messages (if any) the Swell Pedal is actually sending right now.

magnaton

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 2:20 pm

Pipedream wrote:To update:
Checked the Audio, Midi and Performance window - the swell pedal light indicates a signal, but no channel assignment.

Hi Chris:

I should have been specific. The green lights numbered 1 -16 represent the MIDI channels. Looking at Console MIDI IN you should see lights when pressing keyboards, pedals, and pistons as you said those work. If no lights flash when moving the swell shoe then it's not sending any MIDI data.

Danny B.

Return to Technical support