It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

WAV Volume Adjusting

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Doug S.

WAV Volume Adjusting

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Is it possible to adjust the volume of individual pipe WAV files? I use HW along with pipework in my home project and "shadow" my real pipes with their corresponding stop samples to provide the reverb present in the sample set. This works really well however it naturally increased the volume of the shadowed stops.

I've experimented using Audacity to lower the main sample pipe volume. When the unaltered file is replaced with the lower volume file, the sample set won't load. It shows an error saying the pitch from the altered file is missing.

Is this a show stopper, or am I missing something fundamental? The ability to lower a stops primary volume while preserving the volume of the unchanged reverb files would be a significant improvement for my instrument.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

Grant_Youngman

Re: WAV Volume Adjusting

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm

There aren't separate "reverb" files. The acoustic of the reverberant natural space for wet samples is recorded in the WAV files as an integral element of the pipe samples. The decay portions of the pipe samples are recorded the same way, and you cannot, for example, just lower the volume of everything else from within Hauptwerk.

Maybe I don't understand what you're asking (?). But if you're looking for just "reverb", or a portion of a pipe sample without reverb, to be alterable as a standalone item, you won't find it.

What might be possible is to use just the surround (rear) samples from a surround sample set. But even then, you will see some increase in the fundamental pipe tone — e.g., surround samples aren't just all reverb — they are the sum total of everything heard at the point the microphones were installed in the space when the samples were recorded.
Grant

Doug S.

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Grant,
Are you sure? Why then are there additional folders for the same stop containing long or short release files?
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Doug S. wrote:Grant,
Are you sure? Why then are there additional folders for the same stop containing long or short release files?
Thanks,
Doug

Long and short release files (typically, there are 3 releases recorded per pipe, maybe more, maybe fewer) provide a way to differentiate between the decay (in the original acoustic space) of pipe tone depending on how long the pipe has been sounding. It makes a substantial difference in the way the pipe decay behaves. But again, these releases are not just reverberation. They contain everything recorded at the microphone position.
Grant

Doug S.

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 pm

That would be fine if I could suppress the pre release volume.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

Grant_Youngman

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 9:19 am

Perhaps it could be done in CODM.
Grant

ReinerS

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 am

*deleted text regarding possibility how this could be done int he ODF, on second thought not so sure about it *

The other way is to do it using an audio editor. Here you need to find one that does not change the release and loop markers as well as the pitch information, i.e. it must leave the cue and smpl chunks of the wave file untouched. I do not know which editors are safe in this respect, but I am sure others on the forum will have some ideas.

Best regards
Reiner

Doug S.

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks Reiner,
I have Audacity which doesn't get that far into the weeds, at least not that I've discovered. Hopefully someone will pipe in if there is such software out there.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

Morse

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 7:55 am

Hi Doug,
Adobe Audition will do what you want. The requirement is the ability to adjust the volume, pitch, spectrum etc. of a wave file and leave the loop and release information untouched. The program can also be run in batch mode which is nice when you manipulate hundreds of samples in Hauptwerk ranks.

I use an old version 3 stand-alone copy of the program but it looks like the latest versions are only available for rent at $21/month.
Al Morse

Doug S.

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks Al.
Doug
Doug

Doug S.

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 3:24 pm

Success! I've been able to reduce just the sustained volume of a single WAV file.
Step next is to do it for a double chord within a single pipe shadow stop and
Hear if the effort will indeed reduce the overall loudness of the pipework thus permitting an overall reduction which will be most welcome by my dear and long suffering wife.
Thanks again to AL Morse for all his help and encouragement.
Doug
Doug

Return to Technical support