It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 am

Audio glitches heard recording but not on playback

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Greatstave

Audio glitches heard recording but not on playback

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 11:55 am

I, like many others have been getting regular audio glitches from my system, even though the PCs I use are supposed to be clean. I have proved this as they operate without glitches when connected to a different organ console, so I am working on the premise that there may be a problem with my own organ console and how it generates MIDI. However, there is an interesting anomaly with my equipment that may be a clue to the problem. When I record in Hauptwerk I can hear the usual glitches but they are not present when playing back the recorded file through the same equipment. My equipment is the latest Hauptwerk Advanced s/w running on Windows via a Focusrite MIDI controller. The problem occurs whether running on a Windows 10 PC or Windows 7 Professional PC. Does anyone know why that could occur?

brooke.benfield

Re: Audio glitches heard recording but not on playback

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 3:13 pm

You may have something in your console generating a lot of extra MIDI traffic. A noisy expression/crescendo pedal could do this.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

IainStinson

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 5:11 pm

On Windows you should try turning off the Superfetch system service. You should disable it not just stop it.
See http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17239&start=30 on the form. On Windows 10 superfetch is renamed sysmain (disable sysmain). Disabling this has usually made a great improvement.

The glitches occur when playing live because other processes are using the cpu. Superfetch makes heavy demands and is not essential.

When you play back the recording you use an audio player which doesn’t make huge cpu demands.

Iain

Greatstave

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 3:38 am

Thank you, Iain. I disabled Superfetch some months ago and implemented all the other things on the recommended list.I know I now have a clean Windows set-up as it all works without any glitches on another organ console, so I'm suspecting the fault lies with my own console and the suggestion that it may be generating extra MIDI traffic is certainly worth pursuing. John

1961TC4ME

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm

I can't speak for Windows 10, but the only audio glitch issue I ever had with my Windows 7 Pro setup was eliminated by turning 'automatic updates' off. Never a glitch since.

Marc

Return to Technical support