It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm

Master Crescendo Edit vs Cue

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ns_organist

Master Crescendo Edit vs Cue

PostSat May 04, 2019 8:10 am

Hello,

I'm planning on installing a LCD panel, and want it to show the stage of the Master Crescendo. I would also like the ability to edit the registration associated with each stage using only the LCD panel.

The option in the LCD Display (p 97 in user manual) shows both the current and cued crescendo stage. When I look at the crescendo toolbar, there is a “current stage” and an “edit” stage (but no “cued').

What is displayed as “cued”? Is it the same as what is displayed on the crescendo toolbar in between the “edit’' and “store” buttons?

If I use an LCD Display, can I edit the crescendo using the standard LCD Display "CRESC A 0 CUE 1", where "CUE 1" is the stage I'm editing? (I do not plan on using a monitor other than the LCD displays.)

Thanks,
Kevin

brooke.benfield

Re: Master Crescendo Edit vs Cue

PostSat May 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi Kevin;

The LCD panels you are referring to are a status display only kind of thing. There's no user interaction possible with them, so they will not directly provide you with the flexibility to do what you are wanting to do.

You are going to need an LCD screen with a touchscreen overlay, or a tablet computer, or if you are determined to use the type of LCD display you mentioned you'll need a bunch of extra physical switches in your console connected to the MIDI encoder.

I did a project similar to what you are proposing but I went after the MIDI Play/Recorder, the Pitch Menu and also created a status display screen (expression/crescendo pedal position indicators, memory level, SFZ indicator). This involved enabling MIDI output from Hauptwerk (page 34 & 222 in the manual) and writing a bunch of code for an Arduino microcontroller.

I haven't attempted to answer your actual questions, I'm just trying to point you in the direction I think you are wanting to go based on the first sentence in your post.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

ns_organist

PostSun May 05, 2019 9:40 am

Hello Brooke,

Thanks for you reply.

Yes, I'm aware that the LCD Displays are 'display only'. I'm currently using touch screens (displaying a custom interface using Touch OSC - so I'm not using the standard VPO display, nor am I using the standard Hauptwerk toolbars), and CMK Pro keyboards with pistons, so I do have inputs from both monitors and keyboards.

What I wanted to do, is edit the master crescendo without using my computer screen, or the master crescendo toolbar that is displayed in the Hauptwerk VPO console. (I have 4 pistons for 'prev', 'next', edit', and 'save'.)

In order to achieve this, I need to be able to see which frame of the master crescendo I'm editing. While the Master Crescendo toolbar shows the current frame, and offers 'edit' and 'save' functions, it also displays the crescendo stage that you are about to edit.

The LCD setup in Hauptwerk offers an option to output "CRES A 0 CUE 1". This will tell me which Cres. bank (A-D) I'm using, and which stage I'm on. I am trying to determine if the stage that is displayed in the 'Cue' field of the LCD output is the same stage that is displayed in the 'edit' field of the master crescendo toolbar. The only mention of 'cue' with regard to the master crescendo, is in the LCD setup within Hauptwerk. (I realize 'cue' is used in other areas in regards to the registration sequencer.)

So, I need my LCD display to show both the current stage, as well as the 'stage to edit', but I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'm trying to figure out what is displayed as 'cued' in the master crescendo LCD output.

Thanks,
Kevin

brooke.benfield

PostSun May 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Hi Kevin;

I'm with you now.

After looking over the material in the manual I think cued in the LCD panel and edit in the control panel show the same information and that your idea will work beautifully.

These displays have been quite popular for several years and it wouldn't be difficult for someone out there to program one of their displays to show this information and give it a quick try to verify it for you. They would only have to drive the Master Crescendo functions via the control panel buttons and see what shows on the display out on their console. I think that the cued number on the display will change with the prev/next buttons.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

Return to Technical support