It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 pm

Does Hauptwerk supports server2019?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Christian Liu

Does Hauptwerk supports server2019?

PostSun May 05, 2019 8:21 pm

I'd like to use Windows server 2019 as my new Intel NUC's OS, rather than common PC OS like WIN10, because I want to use it as a "private" mini server (just for me and my relatives).
And it can be used as a PC.
The question is: Does Hauptwerk support Windows server 2019, and other similar server OS?

Thank you!
Best Regards.

csw900

Re: Does Hauptwerk supports server2019?

PostTue May 07, 2019 9:49 am

A server operating system is very little different to a normal PC operating system. The server just contains the additional software necessary to make it into a server. (However if your PC hardware has been designed as a PROPER server you may find it has poor, or no, built in sound and a poor video display.)

Otherwise I see no reason why HW should not work on your server so I suggest you download and try the free HW software on your server and test that it works to your satisfaction. If it's OK you can then later upgrade HW to meet your requirements.

csw900

IainStinson

PostWed May 08, 2019 4:15 am

If you want your "home server" for file and print sharing, then you can just use Windows 10 Professional.

[For our share file store I use a Synology NAS device (with disks in a raid configuration) which is independent of the Windows and MAC systems we use at home. ]

The server versions of Windows are more focused on running workloads rather than supporting user interfaces - they have lots of (good) data centre features and make significant use of Active Directory. Earlier server products were more similar to desktop versions of Windows but over the years they have developed to better support different requirements.

MacOS can also be used as a "mini server" as well as a desktop. In someways its UNIX origins make it a little better suited than Windows.

Iain

mumblecake

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 am

I know I'm a little late to the game. I actually did this a couple of years ago and it does work however there are some caveats. Mainly the installer does not install on Windows server out of the box. You need to put it into compatibility mode otherwise you will get an error during the installation process. I covered this here originally:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14463

Return to Technical support