Search:
Submit Search

to assign keyboards/pedalboards...

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.

to assign keyboards/pedalboards...

Postby B777Captain » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Guys....

I've been having problems with HW which for the most part are solved, however in solving all those, I have this issue currently ongoing:

I'm able to hear the stops "thunk" as they are manipulated either by hand touch or piston, but no sound from the keyboards/pedalsboards. So I figured I needed to "auto-detect" the keyboards and pedals. However, when attempting this and selecting the lowest and highest key on the keyboard, the "Done" icon does not light up so I can select it. Quite odd.....

Can anyone offer some guidance on how to correct this?

Thanks

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada
B777Captain

Re: to assign keyboards/pedalboards...

Postby engrssc » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:32 pm

You might try Midi Ox. http://www.midiox.com/

or MIDI Monitor. https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

to see what the keyboard/encoder is actually sending.

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby IainStinson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:15 am

Did you mean that when you play the keyboards with stops drawn you don't hear any music ("pipes sounding") or did you mean that you don't hear any "key noise" (like the stops "thump")?

If you don't hear any "music", then auto detection of the keyboards should work. You need to be sure that the console type is set appropriately as HW uses this to guide its auto detection. See pg 33 and General settings | General configuration wizard).

You said that when you tried auto detect that the Done button did not "light" this could be due to the wrong console type being selected or more likely that you keyboards are not providing any midi data to your computer. As suggested earlier, use one of the tools mentioned to check that midi is arriving at the console. (You can also do this using the HW midi logging facility (General Preferences |Advanced tab) pg 138 - look in the log to see the midi data...).

If you are hearing "music" but not the "key noise", check that the sample set supports key noises (you should see the sample listed with the samples loaded for the organ, check the audio output is set for the sample, if necessary adjust the volume of the sample in Voicing....

Iain
IainStinson

Postby Grant_Youngman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:37 pm

If you're hearing keyboard (tracker) noises when depressing keys, then that would mean that HW is getting note messages from the keyboards and probably has them assigned so it can play the sound effects. Sounds are just another rank …

Some sample sets require a separate blower control be turned on before pipes will sound …

May not be the problem, and doesn't explain why HW's auto-detect function doesn't seem to be working properly (?).

Just throwing a couple of random thoughts …
Grant
Grant_Youngman

Postby engrssc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:26 pm

[quote="Grant_Youngman"]If you're hearing keyboard (tracker) noises when depressing keys, then that would mean that HW is getting note messages from the keyboards and probably has them assigned so it can play the sound effects. Sounds are just another rank …

Some sample sets require a separate blower control be turned on before pipes will sound …

/quote]
engrssc

Postby engrssc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:Some sample sets require a separate blower control be turned on before pipes will sound

Good point. I've gotten bit :mrgreen: by that (too realistic thing) a couple times esp after making some changes and reloading "that" sample set. Reloading caused the sample set to re-vert back to the default settings which reactivated the blower switch.

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby B777Captain » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Let me give a full detailed explanation here of what's happening. Its gotten more interesting since I last posted this issue....

I had my consultant, Francois Ratte (Hauptwerkconsultant.com) log on and look at the problem. And from the first post I wrote, he fixed it.

I should mention that I use 2 HW icons on my screen.... One is for when I want to use Reaper for acoustics... I open Reaper first, then I open that HW icon. The other is when I do not want to use Reaper and I just click the other particular HW icon. Clear as mud?? Lol...

So I went to the "Non Reaper" HW icon, clicked on it, opened up the Metz sample. I first noted my pistons didn't work. I clicked on some stops and heard the thunk from my speakers that they were working as I selected them. Then I tried to play the keyboards and there was no sound at all. So then I thought I needed to auto-detect/assign the console keyboards to my keyboards by selecting the lowest and highest notes but when trying that, I could not get the "Done" icon to be clickable to assign the keyboard. None of this worked as all keyboards and pedalboard would not activate the "Done" icon.

Now... Oddly, when I opened up Reaper and then opened the HW icon associated with Reaper, it required the same auto-detecting of keyboards and pedalboard.. and it worked normally. And the samples play normally.

Several other things however.... My 2nd touchscreen doesn't work eg, I can't activate stops on the screen for some reason even though I have "2nd window (?) activated in the "View" menu. Not sure why....

Then... as the finale, I tried to open the Non Reaper HW about an hour ago, and I got the same window I got when the problems first came about... So I'm back to square one.

Francois is on a project and won't be back for another week or so, therefore I can't use the classical samples as the reaper adds waaaay too much reverb (yes I know I can adjust Reaper, but don't want to)

So... I"m HW-less for a while....

I hope that all made sense.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada
B777Captain

Return to Technical support