Search:
Submit Search

Masterworks 3/31 pistons - where are they on HW?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.

Masterworks 3/31 pistons - where are they on HW?

Postby John_Abson » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:45 pm

This is probably going to result in a " d'oh moment " for me, but I asked the same question on the Facebook VTPO group and didn't get a definitive answer, so here goes.

I have the Masterworks 3-31 sample set and over the last year or so have set combinations, modifying the default set supplied with the instrument (? native piston set? ). However, I can't find out where these are stored - they are just 'somewhere'. No doubt it's blindingly obvious, but not to me when I'm sitting at the console :-) Can anyone help, please?

To clarify, I couldn't find them in any of the Combination A1, A2 etc. series.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to start creating different combination sets for different users/situations (A1, A2 etc.) and I want to avoid over-writing my modified default (?native?) set.

I hope this question makes sense and belongs in this section as I suspect the answer lies in Hauptwerk rather than the sample set. Apologies if I've mis-posted, and thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
John_Abson

Re: Masterworks 3/31 pistons - where are they on HW?

Postby IainStinson » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:55 am

First, I don't know this sample set. But assuming it follows the "usual" Hauptwerk way....

Load the organ. This should bring the instrument up with the current combination set loaded (the one you last used). On the main screen select
Registration |Save combination set as
This will allow you to select where to save the current combination set; you can save the combination set as one of the predefined sets or under any name you choose.

The combinations are stored in the folder Hauptwerk/HauptwerkUsedData/OrganCombinations/, in a sub folder which is named using the Hauptwerk Organ ID for the sample set (you can find this from the Hauptwerk Log file (accessed via Help |View Activity Log).

Some organs (Peterborough Cathedral fro example) provide their own console controls to save combinations sets which emulate the original organ's combination system. Most of these, I think, still store the combinations in the underlying Hauptwerk combination system system - so the Hauptwerk save/load/review combination functions are still applicable.

The Hauptwerk facility to display the combination details as text Registraion | Export/view... is really useful for seeing what is stored in a particular Hauptwerk combination file.

Hope these general remarks help.

Iain
IainStinson

Postby John_Abson » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Iain; thank you very much indeed for your reply. I'll try it later tonight and let you know whether I have had my 'd'oh moment' or not :-)
/J
John_Abson

Postby John_Abson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:25 pm

Further update. Finally got time to look into your suggestion Iain (for which I again thank you very much) and exported the file of combination settings. This is quite interesting as it listed the current settings for each piston then a listing of the scopes (ranges) for combination sets A1 to A10 through to F01 to F10. All stops were scoped to each piston.

What I did notice however was that there was no collective title for the group of current settings, almost as if there is something 'missing' in the title.

For most users I probably seem a bit of a worry-guts over this, but this sample set has 335 settable controls and 60 pistons so 40,200 bits of information (range and status bit for each stopkey), so I like to be sure what I am doing.

I will explore further and report from the jungle of unification :-)
John_Abson

Return to Technical support