It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:07 am

Mac Catalina upgrade - can no longer load HW

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

RaymondList

Re: Mac Catalina upgrade - can no longer load HW

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 10:09 pm

engrssc wrote:I didn't realize that Parallels is quite reasonable. Haven't looked at it for quite a while. Gives me something (besides V 5 ) to "chew" on. Hmmm. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Don't forget you need to add the OS to Parallels so that adds some money to the formula. It can run a whole bunch of different OS's, including Windows, and runs them very well. I'm also licensed for VMware, which is good too. For the software I needed to run, I found Parallels to be a little better. On the Mac, MacOS sees the Parallels disk as just a big file. Within Parallels, that file appears to the OS Parallels is running to be a disk. It virtualizes everything, and does it well. If I can answer any questions, PM me. I'd be happy to share any knowledge I have.
Ray

RichardW

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 12:32 pm

I presume any "virtual" system will incur an overhead as the computer involved will not be just running Hauptwerk but also be pretending to be another computer/OS as well?
Richard

mdyde

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Hello Richard,

Yes -- it would add some overheads.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

RaymondList

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 2:05 pm

RichardW wrote:I presume any "virtual" system will incur an overhead as the computer involved will not be just running Hauptwerk but also be pretending to be another computer/OS as well?

Very true. Both Parallels and VMware allow (require actually) you to set how many of your available CPU's the virtual machine 'sees', along with the amount of RAM that is made available to the VM. The priority of the VM is also adjustable relative to other tasks of the native OS. I certainly would not want to run a large instrument within the VM. I'm getting myself more interested all the time in trying this as I think it would be a lot of fun for me. (Weird? Yup!)
Ray

larason2

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 12:56 pm

Hello Martin,

Just wanted to let you know that unfortunately, running the HWV installer on top of my 4.2 installation on Catalina didn’t work. I got the “Fatal Error” problem others got. Thankfully, manually deleting everything and reinstalling from scratch did work. I also had some trouble running the installer, presumably because it’s not notarized. I actually had to try to run it twice, the first time would not work, the second time I got a dialogue box that let me finally open the installer. Thanks for the direct links to the installer files! I kept getting corrupted installers via the website method, but the direct link worked no problem. Very happy with HWV! Thanks for all your help and hard work.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks very much, larson2.

Glad to hear you like it, and sorry that getting v5 compatible with recent macOS versions has ended complicating the v4 upgrade process.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 3:34 pm

I've edited my v4->v5 Mac migration topic ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 ) to make it clear that the instructions there (uninstall Hauptwerk v4 completely and delete files/folder, before installing v5) also normally need to be followed on any Mac platform if upgrading to v5, irrespective of whether upgrading to 10.15 specifically or planning to do so.
Best regards, Martin.

Previous

Return to Technical support