It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

Mac Catalina upgrade - can no longer load HW

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

GoodieHW

Mac Catalina upgrade - can no longer load HW

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 2:51 pm

I have recently upgraded to Mac Catalina and can no longer load HW. A folder has appeared called 'Relocated Files'. I get an error message when I try to load. Could anyone advise the best way forward please

larason2

Re: Mac Catalina upgrade - can no longer load HW

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 3:49 pm

The same thing happened to me when I upgraded to Catalina this morning. I believe this also happened to me before when I upgraded to another Mac operating system (The OS moved the Hauptwerk system files to another location). I believe the solution was to run the Hauptwerk installer again, telling it to install in the new location where the Hauptwerk system files have been moved to. I haven't been able to try this yet, but I will post when I do if it worked.

GoodieHW

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Will be interested to see how you get on. Just as an experiment I downloaded HW onto my wife's (Catalina) Mac this evening. It would not even install.

Seems as though HW on current Mac OS is completely b*****ed

randallschmid

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Many audio software houses have stated Catalina is incompatible with their software and have recommended to not update to this OS version until it has been tested and cleared.. This affects both software and hardware drivers. The below article on Apple's website lists the new requirements vendors must meet in order to run their software on Catalina. Given HW's lack of development resources, I would not expect a fix any time soon, if ever.

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=09032019a

RaymondList

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 5:03 pm

A simple edit of the file <FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml> to point the system to the new location of Hauptwerk should fix the issue. However, the system won't let me edit that stupid file right now. I just need to get some time to determine how to get edit access. It is pretty clear what needs to change within that txt file.
Ray

larason2

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks to RaymondList, your suggestion was a very good one.

My computer moved the Hauptwerk system files to "MacintoshHD/Users/Shared/RelocatedItems/Security."
I moved it from there to Applications (MacintoshHD/Applications), and deleted the old folder.

I just searched for "FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml" in Spotlight search (default Command-Space), and that file was the third to come up. Be careful you don't hit spacebar after typing in the text, since it will automatically open the first file to come up.
After I selected "FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml" On the dialog that came up, I clicked on "choose application," then selected "Text Edit." Then I made the following changes:

<RootFolder_HauptwerkUserData>/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkUserData</RootFolder_HauptwerkUserData>
Changed to:
<RootFolder_HauptwerkUserData>/Applications/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkUserData</RootFolder_HauptwerkUserData>

<RootFolder_HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents>/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents</RootFolder_HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents>
Changed to:
<RootFolder_HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents>/Applications/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents</RootFolder_HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents>

<RootFolder_HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles>/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles</RootFolder_HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles>
Changed to:
<RootFolder_HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles>/Applications/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles</RootFolder_HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles>

As it says in the file, make sure you don't accidentally delete or change anything else in the file!
That worked like a charm for me. As I recall, reinstalling Hauptwerk worked before, but this method is easier. I believe in the past I had to reinstall all my organs when I reinstalled Hauptwerk. This time, no organs needed to be reinstalled.

I should also mention that I had a problem getting my USB key to work. The download link on the Hauptwerk website for the USB key driver is an old version that doesn't work in Catalina. As per another forum topic, I went to this website: "https://sentinelcustomer.gemalto.com/sentineldownloads/" And downloaded the 7.100 version Mac driver. After rebooting the computer, Hauptwerk worked perfectly.
Last edited by larason2 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larason2

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 pm

As an after note, it may be that you couldn't install Hauptwerk on your wife's computer because of the installer problems. This has been well documented on the forum before. If the installer crashes after starting to open, then try running it a couple of more times. The last time I did this, it finally installed Hauptwerk after the 3rd try. On the other hand, I have heard on the forum that Hauptwerk's installer may not be supported by Catalina. If it still doesn't work with the above trick, this might be what is going on. I don't really want to risk my Hauptwerk installation, so maybe another user can report if the installer works!

GoodieHW

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 12:33 am

Many thanks larasan2 - I'll give that a try today

RaymondList

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 9:32 am

RaymondList wrote:A simple edit of the file <FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml> to point the system to the new location of Hauptwerk should fix the issue. However, the system won't let me edit that stupid file right now. I just need to get some time to determine how to get edit access. It is pretty clear what needs to change within that txt file.

Well, there is my 'DUH' moment for the day (maybe the week or longer). I thought I'd post this in case anyone else's brain has a pause. Although I changed the file attributes from 'read' to 'read and write' (select 'info' in finder, click the lock in lower right-hand corner, enter password, then change the attribute), I never changed the status of the folder the file resided in, which was 'read only'. After that simple change, I was able to do the edit. DUH.
Ray

pecabo

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 11:19 am

Thanks for the hints. Hauptwerk works now well. But only in evaluation mode: the dongle don't work. :(
Are there any tipps for starting the dongle process?
Peter

larason2

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 am

No problem. As I mentioned before, you need the updated dongle (or USB key) driver. Visit https://sentinelcustomer.gemalto.com/sentineldownloads/, and download the 7.100 driver for Mac OS. After you install, restart your system. The dongle should work.

pecabo

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Sorry for the late reply: all works fine now.
Many thanks for all the good hints :D
Peter

bresciani

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 11:34 am

I hope you guys can help. I have a 2015 MacBook Pro that I upgraded to Catalina - all my critical apps had been updated to 64-bit, including Hauptwerk, so I wan't worried. Following the instructions above, editing the FileLocations. file, Hauptwerk started up fine, but up popped the "Preparing to install organ components bundled with Hauptwerk. This might take a few minutes the first time you run Hauptwerk after installing or upgrading it. Please wait." Well, I've let it sit for hours, it never completes the installation (tried a few times). Normally, I would simply completely reinstall Hauptwerk from scratch - except the Hauptwerk Installer App is 32-bit, so that won't work.

Any ideas? Can I relocate more items manually? Is there any kind of 64-bit app that will run 32-bit apps in a virtual space or anything?

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Paul

larason2

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 8:58 am

I’m afraid I’m at a loss to help you, except I’m wondering if you did the steps above right. What happened to you happened to me before I moved the application files and changed the file locations file. Just a reminder that the file that had to be moved is a big file (over 50 GB for me), so it takes a long time to transfer. You could try another location instead of applications, you just have to change the file locations file appropriately. First of all though, I would double check you didn’t make a mistake on the file locations file. One wrong character or something accidentally deleted will result in the behaviour you mentioned above.

mdyde

PostSat Nov 30, 2019 2:57 pm

I've posted a topic that has important instructions for migrating an existing Hauptwerk v4 Mac installation to v5+ or to macOS 10.15+ 'Catalina': viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
Next

Return to Technical support