It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:05 am

Mac Catalina upgrade - can no longer load HW

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Mac Catalina upgrade - can no longer load HW

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 7:29 am

Hello Ray and others,

P.S. I do appreciate that your edits to the installation were due to the lack of official support for macOS 10.15 in Hauptwerk v4, but you definitely should never try to put any of Hauptwerk's main data file structures inside '/Applications', since if you ever run the Hauptwerk installer then they're likely to get wiped there (or at least overwritten). If you want to move them anywhere, I'd suggest putting them in '/Users/<your macOS username>/Hauptwerk', which should be a safe location for macOS 10.15+ and for Hauptwerk v4 and v5.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

larason2

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Thanks Martin for your post.

In preparation for HW5, I moved my Hauptwerk folder to Users/<name>/Hauptwerk as you suggested (and made the changes to "FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml"), and installed iLok license manager. Hauptwerk still works as expected.

I took a look at your instructions on how to update to V5. Since my Mac is currently on Catalina, Hauptwerk's uninstaller will not work. Will the Version 5 installer be able to uninstall V4 prior to install V5, or will I have to manually delete Hauptwerk's folders prior to trying to install V5? If I have to manually delete them, is there a list of folders that need to be deleted? Thanks for your time.

Regards,

mdyde

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 5:48 am

Hello larson2,

Since you now have Hauptwerk's folders in a location that's safe and valid, and provided that the FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml file is correctly pointing to them, you should just be able to run the v5 installer to let it upgrade your current installation. (The installer reads the FileLocations.FileLocations_Hauptwerk_xml file to determine where Hauptwerk's folders are.) No need to try un-installing anything first.

(Of course, do still make sure that you use 'File | Backup ...' in v4 prior to upgrading to v5, and save the resulting file somewhere safe, for good measure.)

Edit 2019-12-11: I've edited my v4->v5 Mac migration topic ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 ) to make it clear that the instructions there (uninstall Hauptwerk v4 completely and delete files/folder, before installing v5) also normally need to be followed on any Mac platform if upgrading to v5, irrespective of whether upgrading to 10.15 specifically or planning to do so, since file permissions would still be incorrect.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

larason2

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks for your reply Martin, it’s very helpful.

Regards,

mdyde

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 10:04 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 11:34 am

Hauptwerk isn't alone having issues with Catalina. Here is info from MOTU {11/19/2019} in that regard:

https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-catalina/

Rgds,
Ed

RaymondList

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 1:54 pm

engrssc wrote:Hauptwerk isn't alone having issues with Catalina. Here is info from MOTU {11/19/2019} in that regard:

https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-catalina/

Rgds,
Ed

I installed Catalina on my Mac, then made the necessary alterations to point Hauptwerk to its files, and my MOTU UltraLite-mk4 worked perfectly with no driver updates. I think it was a few days later, the UltraLite wanted to do a driver update. I was hesitant but the allowed the update. I had a few problems after the update and regretted that I had allowed it, but was able to get it worked out within about 30 minutes. Everything continues to work fine with Hauptwerk IV (could not resist) and the MOTU under Catalina. In fact, Catalina has been perfectly stable for me with all the applications I run on it. A painless upgrade (but then again, I'm kinda a deep tech mainframe guy and things on a pc don't get me alarmed (even though I don't claim to be a pc expert!)).
Ray

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 2:11 pm

What I do before installing any upgrade is to clone the SSD, which includes everything including the OS..That way if I'm having a problem, I can go back to where I was prior to the update.

Presently, I have 3 (backup) SSD's (saved in an undisclosed location :wink: ) with former (versions) of everything as it was at a particular time. Basically,SSD's can be had quite reasonable when on sale, esp considering the hassle if something goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed.

RaymondList

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Yes, I have many backups too. I use Carbon Copy Cloner software to make image backups, but also use Time Machine which gives me:
Local snapshots (some by the minute) within the last hour.
Hourly backups for the past 24 hours.
Daily backups for the past month.
Weekly backups for all previous months (until the backup disk is full, then the oldest weekly gets deleted as the new weekly is created.
As you can imagine, I have a LOT of backups! Us mainframe guys are like that!
You are very wise to keep some backups at the undisclosed offsite location! At the office, the mainframe writes data locally synchronously (waits for device to say "I've got it") while also writing the same data asynchronously (system does not wait) at a remote location about 100 miles away. That remote location also has an identical mainframe just sitting there idling in case the 'production' box goes down (which I've only seen happen twice in over 35 years!), Well, I'm rambling. Sorry.
Ray

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 4:48 pm

While in same line of thinking but a different situation, I do work for a power utility company that maintains a facility (at an undisclosed, very secure site) whose personal's sole purpose is to figure "what if" scenarios. There "output" is saved in several secure locations with the hope of never having to use these plans. Different here with Hauptwerk as we are definitely looking forward to using these new developments. :)

Rgds,
Ed

RaymondList

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 8:52 pm

I also run "Parallels" on this machine and run Windows under MacOS (for one application I needed which was only available on Windows). I'm sitting here for a couple of hours thinking about installing a copy of 4 within Windows under Parallels so I'd have both 4 and 5 available simultaneously for a couple of weeks. I just don't know if it would be worth all my effort to do so. I'm thinking it might be fun though!
Ray

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm quite sure they have to be on separate partitions if run on the same computer.

Rgds,
Ed

RaymondList

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:14 pm

engrssc wrote:I'm quite sure they have to be on separate partitions if run on the same computer.

Rgds,
Ed

Parallels is its own 'virtual' partition. All the software is running within a 'virtual machine'. The Windows machine is in a MacOS window. I love it. It would work.
Ray

OrganoPleno

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:43 pm

engrssc wrote:I'm quite sure they have to be on separate partitions if run on the same computer.

This is only strictly true if you wish to do things in the "supported" fashion, so as not to "break the installer".

All that is strictly required is that the two installations cannot find one another.

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:59 pm

I didn't realize that Parallels is quite reasonable. Haven't looked at it for quite a while. Gives me something (besides V 5 ) to "chew" on. Hmmm. 8)

Rgds,
Ed
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support