It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Great and Choir manual transfer

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Mister_Mirabilis

Great and Choir manual transfer

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 1:05 pm

I am running the complete Hereford set on my build and would like to know how to programme a reversible Gt and Ch Manual transfer, particularly for French repertoire, I’ve provided a thumb piston for this purpose but cannot find anything in the HW documentation. I’m aware that this would be at the HW level, and not on the Hereford package. Thank you in advance for your help with this.

Grant_Youngman

Re: Great and Choir manual transfer

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 2:16 pm

i don't think there is currently a way in HW to do this with a single piston.

You could set up your physical manuals 1-2 as floating manuals (user guide p110). And then set up pistons to assign them to the organ definition's manuals 1-2. Normally this would take two pistons per manual — a piston to assign physical manual 1 to logical manual 1, and a 2nd piston to assign physical manual 1 to logical manual 2. Same for the physical manual 2.

There may be a bit of software you could insert in the midi stream to generate the signals you would need to do this with a single piston as a "reversible". I'm not sure about that. Or instead of pistons, for example, you could use the top two keys of the keyboards, etc.

For example on my 3 manual console I have pistons set up to assign any physical keyboard to logical manuals 1-5 as defined by the sample sets. I can set them all to logical manual 1 for example — which wouldn't be terribly useful.

If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone will step in to let me know that :-)
Grant

mnailor

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm

I do this with floating divisions. Set up routing so the 1st and 3rd routes have the usual manual order, and the 2nd and 4th routes have the alternate manual order. A single MIDI piston assigned to the "All divisions" right arrow flips the Great and Choir manuals with each piston press. Setup info is page 110-118 of the HW user guide. I wrote down my scheme carefully before doing it, then applied it to all my 19th and 20th century organs, including Hereford.

I didn't bother setting up floating divisions for manuals 3 and 4, so the example of setting up St Annes manuals 1 and 2 in the user guide was almost literally how to do it for bigger organs like Hereford.
Last edited by mnailor on Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

engrssc

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Are you using touch screens or physical stop hardware?

Rgds,
Ed

Mister_Mirabilis

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. We managed to get it sorted out last Sunday,using the floating Divisions feature mentioned by mnailor, above. It works quite well, but I need to cycle through using my dedicated piston. Now to get the pistons to transfer with their respective manuals! Another project for another day. 8)
Last edited by Mister_Mirabilis on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mister_Mirabilis

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:37 pm

engrssc wrote:Are you using touch screens or physical stop hardware?

Rgds,
Ed

I’m using two touch screens. (Viewsonic TD2220). As Macs don’t natively support touch screens, I needed a special driver from TouchBase in the U.K. Works like a charm!

mnailor

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 am

There is a way to transfer divisional pistons that are provided with the sampleset along with the division. I haven't used it because I use the master scoped pistons instead, and the feature doesn't transfer them.

"Cycle through" -- I only have to press the "all divisions route advance" arrow piston once to toggle the manuals, since every odd-numbered route is the same and every even-numbered route is the same (alternate). No cycling through routes is necessary to swap the manuals unless you have more than two choices.

mkc1

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 9:44 am

Mister_Mirabilis wrote:Now to get the pistons to transfer with their respective manuals!

See page 117 of the user manual: Divisional combination pistons with floating divisions

mdyde

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 12:52 pm

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Romanos

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:39 am

This is on my wishlist for features for HWV (auto and universal gt/ch transfer).

mdyde

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 am

We do have an enhancement request logged for a dedicated simple function for swapping/flipping two keyboard/division assignments (together with their divisional pistons). I've added your notes to it. (As covered by nmailor, it can already be done using the existing floating divisions, but it takes several steps to configure, so a dedicated convenience function for it could be handy.) I've also logged as an enhancement request that it could be useful to have a means to associate individual master scoped pistons with divisions, so that floating divisions could switch their assignments along with the associated keyboards.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Stagge

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 6:38 am

Dear Martin, dear HW Team,

I am so glad that we are talking again about new features and the further development of Hauptwerk.

Even if we may not experience the expected Feature firework in version 5, it is very pleasing that it continues with Hauptwerk. Most of the changes are likely to have happened anyway for us users in the invisible area. I am sure that is always a big challenge to develop such an extensive program in parallel for Windows and Mac.
In any case I will order version V immediately, even if the new reverb and the encryption system are less relevant to me as a user, the main thing is it goes on! A beautiful and successful Advent for all of you!

Kind regards
Sven

mdyde

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 am

Thanks very much, Sven.

Very kind of you, and much appreciated. (I think and hope you'll find there are are a lot of worthwhile improvements in v5 anyway, beyond just the major headline features.)
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support