It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Fatal error: HW V will not start

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

adrianw

Fatal error: HW V will not start

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:21 am

I have (finally!!!!) managed to download OSX HWV. (I have wasted far too much time on this today).

Seems to Install OK (although the desktop links to the alternative configs still seem to start HW4) and I have installed iLok and have an iLok account but it will still not startup.

Fatal Error - Hauptwerk Advanced Edition V5

Hauptwerk Advanced Edition V5 could not be loaded. Please contact the software publisher for support using this software.

Error details:
Could not find a folder in the bundle that contains the activation experience resources.

I imagine that this needs the mysterious license bundles downloaded. I have done this, but cannot install them since HWV (catch 22 style) will not start to do the necessary install.

I have checked the md5 is correct, so definitely not a corrupted download (although I believe that your file server is misconfigured since it won't even attempt the Windows version download).

Code: Select all
iMac-2019:Downloads adrian$ md5 InstallHauptwerk_v5.0.0.333.dmg
MD5 (InstallHauptwerk_v5.0.0.333.dmg) = 445cd0d065cbfebe0e7ca72eee10200b

The iMac had a perfect working HW4 installation. Fortunately, it is not my main machine or I would now be very cross indeed!

As an aside it seems I cannot even log this failure apparently under the new scammy regime unless I use my only free support ticket!

- Adrian

mdyde

Re: Fatal error: HW V will not start

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 am

Hello andrianw,

Thanks for the purchase and attempted installation.

The errors would appear to indicate that something didn't get installed properly when Hauptwerk v5's installer ran. (The licensing packages aren't relevant to the error you're seeing.)

What version of macOS are you using? Are all available macOS updates applied for that major version? Was the macOS installation upgraded from an installation at a previous major macOS versions, or was it a clean install? (Perhaps some file or folder permissions prevented Hauptwerk's installer being to run properly, for example.)

When you ran the v5.0.0.333 installer, did it report that installation had completed successfully on the final screen?

Are you able to launch v5 successfully directly (using Finder) via '/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Hauptwerk.app' (or any of the other 'alt config N' applications there)?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

adrianw

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm

What version of macOS are you using?

System Version: macOS 10.14.6 (18G1012)

Are all available macOS updates applied for that major version?

Sure. See above.

Was the macOS installation upgraded from an installation at a previous major macOS versions, or was it a clean install? (Perhaps some file or folder permissions prevented Hauptwerk's installer being to run properly, for example.)

Very Clean install - this is a new iMac supplied just pre Catalina.

When you ran the v5.0.0.333 installer, did it report that installation had completed successfully on the final screen?

Yes

Are you able to launch v5 successfully directly (using Finder) via '/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Hauptwerk.app' (or any of the other 'alt config N' applications there)?
[/quote][/quote]

No. Same error. And HW4 configs will not start now.

Very disappointed. Have these installs even been tested?

- Adrian

mdyde

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks, Adrian.

Very sorry to hear about the problems. To confirm -- yes the installers have indeed been tested a great deal (clean installs, upgrades, etc.), without previous problems.

Whilst seeing a diagnostic file would be ideal, that won't be possible in this case, given that you can't launch Hauptwerk. Instead, please use Finder to navigate to the following folder:

'/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ'

Inside that folder should be a sub-folder named 'InternalResources'. That folder contains various logs, (from the installer, etc.). Please right-click on that folder, select 'Compress ...' and email the resulting .zip file to me as an attachment. (I'll send you a P.M. straight away with my direct email address, for speed.) Many thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

adrianw

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks - I will do that.

fjonker

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Hello... I see the same message on High Sierra... upgrade install over existing HW 4.2 free install.

Let me know if you want some logs.

Is there a required order of operations in terms of installing the iLOK client and then HW5?

mdyde

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks, Adrian.

I've replied to you via email.

fjonker wrote:Hello... I see the same message on High Sierra... upgrade install over existing HW 4.2 free install.

Let me know if you want some logs.

Is there a required order of operations in terms of installing the iLOK client and then HW5?

Hello fjonker,

I suspect a file permissions issue prevented the v5 installer being able to install properly. (Probably the issue is historical, from the last v4.2.1 install, perhaps as a result of v4.2.1 not being fully compatible with recent macOS versions.)

Please try:

- Use Finder to delete the entire '/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ' folder.

- Also use Finder to delete the entire '/Hauptwerk' folder (at the very top-level of your Mac's hard-drive -- to see it you need to make sure that drives are set to be shown in the sidebar in Finder's preferences).

- Also delete all of the existing Hauptwerk short-cuts from your desktop and from the Dock.

- Empty the Mac's trash can, for good measure.

- Also reboot, for good measure.

- Run the v5.0.0 installer and let it perform a default installation. (This thread covers installation locations for macOS 10.15 'Catalina', which might perhaps also have some relevance to the issue, given that v4.2.1's installer wasn't fully compatible with macOS 10.13-14: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 .)

Does that allow Hauptwerk v5 to launch and work normally?

If so:

- Optionally use 'File | Restore ...' to restore the last Hauptwerk v4 (settings/combinations/voicing) backup you have. (If you had automatic backups turned on then you can find them in '/Users/<your macOS username>/Hauptwerk/AutomaticBackups'.)

- Install the latest versions of all of your sample sets.

Many thanks, and apologies for the problem, again and best regards,
Martin.
Best regards, Martin.

adrianw

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Deleting everything, rebooting and re-installing as you suggest worked for me. At last!

Thanks, Martin, for sorting this so quickly - as I knew you would.

We really cannot afford to NOT have you on the board! Please do not retreat again to self-imposed exile - I understand the need for development time but there is no-one else who can offer this sort of support. And paid-for tickets - rationed apparently so meanly - are a HUGE backwards step.

- Adrian.

mdyde

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks very much, Adrian. Glad to hear it's working now, and apologies again for the problem.

adrianw wrote:We really cannot afford to NOT have you on the board! Please do not retreat again to self-imposed exile - I understand the need for development time but there is no-one else who can offer this sort of support. And paid-for tickets - rationed apparently so meanly - are a HUGE backwards step.

Those decisions aren't actually up to me personally, but I'm sure your thoughts will be read and considered.
Best regards, Martin.

fjonker

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Thank you Martin, following your instructions (above) worked. I could then launch HWV and it allowed me to apply a Trial license that it generated.

I did not need to restore any settings as this was just an install on my test machine.

Thanks again!

mdyde

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks. Excellent. Hope you like it.
Best regards, Martin.

RaymondList

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 4:17 pm

License applied in iLok, installed on Mac Catalina, working like a charm. Now need to update some organs, then start learning about the new features.

Thanks!
Ray

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:08 am

Thanks, Ray. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

heilei

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:54 am

Exactly the same thing happened to me (same error message, same OS versions etc.). The installation log has dozens of lines like this (for both the main app and the alt variations):

Install Directory: /Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Hauptwerk.app/Contents/Resources/__Pace_Eden

...with corresponding Java IO exceptions later in the same log file:

java.io.IOException: /Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Hauptwerk.app/Contents/PlugIns/__Pace_Eden: could not create directory

Being a Java developer myself, I checked the owner and permissions of that particular directory, and they are root, as suspected:

$ ls -al "/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Hauptwerk.app/Contents/PlugIns"
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   6 root  admin  192 Sep  3  2016 .
drwxrwxrwx  10 root  admin  320 Dec 11 16:37 ..
drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin   96 Sep  3  2016 accessible
drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin   96 Sep  3  2016 bearer
drwxrwxr-x   6 root  admin  192 Sep  3  2016 codecs
drwxrwxr-x   6 root  admin  192 Sep  3  2016 imageformats

It seems that the installer tries to run the update without root/admin rights, and that simply won't work over an existing v4 installation.

I don't recall ever changing anything within the Hauptwerk app bundles, so this might not be an isolated incident, but a much larger problem for anyone trying to update an existing v4 installation. I can fix this myself, but I suspect most Hauptwerk users can not...

heilei

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 11:09 am

One correction to the error report above: the installer log has access-related error messages for two different directories:

/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Hauptwerk.app/Contents/PlugIns/
/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Hauptwerk.app/Contents/Resources/

Both of these directories are owned by root, and have no write access for other users. For some obscure reason, the installer marks these as "NonFatalErrors", which is probably why they're never shown to the user.
Next

Return to Technical support