It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:50 pm

Fatal error: HW V will not start

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Fatal error: HW V will not start

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 3:33 pm

I've edited my v4->v5 Mac migration topic ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 ) to make it clear that the instructions there (uninstall Hauptwerk v4 completely and delete files/folder, before installing v5) also normally need to be followed on any Mac platform if upgrading to v5, irrespective of whether upgrading to 10.15 specifically or planning to do so.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Lougheed

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:07 am

mdyde wrote:
- Re-run the v5.0.0 installer, select the 'Custom' option, and when prompted for each of the installation locations, in all cases specify exactly '/Hauptwerk' (within the root of the drive, so as to correspond to your current installation locations, N.B. not within your home directory which is the default for v5).

I'm thinking of trying this method. I'm uncertain what the terms "root of the drive" and "home directory" mean. Can you provide an example of the path?

mdyde

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:25 am

Hello Lawrence,

First, in order to be able to see drives, make sure that the 'Sidebar | Devices | Hard disks' option is ticked in Finder's preferences.

Then, when you run Hauptwerk v5's installer, having selected the 'Custom' option, when you are prompted for installation locations, use the 'Choose' button to select the file browser's left-hand pane entry for your main drive, then select the existing 'Hauptwerk' folder within it.

(That assumes that v4 had been installed with its default installation locations, i.e. '/Hauptwerk', which means a folder named Hauptwerk at the top-level of your main drive.)
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

heilei

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:51 am

mdyde wrote:
I can't promise but as an unofficial work-around I *think* that if you manually gave full read/write permissions to everybody on the following folder (and on all sub-folders and all files within any of them):

/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ

... and did likewise for your main Hauptwerk installation folder (e.g. /Hauptwerk ), and if you also changed the owner of all of those files and folders to be your current operating system user, then re-ran the v5 installer it, that it should result in a working migrated v5 installation for pre-10.15 macOS versions. (If you subsequently upgraded to v5 then you would also need to change the installation locations to 10.15-safe ones, as described in my 10.15 instructions.)

Thanks for the advice, and yes, it works! I've now upgraded my existing v4 installation to v5 (after digging around in the Terminal first, for quite a while...)

So if you're adventurous enough, familiar with the macOS file system and you know what "chmod go+w -R" does 8), it can be done.

One final observation: after the installation, the installer's JRE (the Java runtime) is not removed, it stays behind in /Applications/HauptwerkJavaRuntime. Nothing too dramatic, but a bit... unprofessional, if you ask me...

mdyde

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks, hellei.

Excellent.

The Java run-time needs to remain installed, so that Hauptwerk's uninstaller can work.
Best regards, Martin.

Previous

Return to Technical support