It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:20 am

Hauptwerk shutdown

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

fchazz

Hauptwerk shutdown

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Why is it that when I close Hauptwerk it takes forever to save my settings before shuting down. Sometimes I have to cancel the saving part just to close the program. Could I change something to make it save and shut down alot quicker?
Frank H

josq

Re: Hauptwerk shutdown

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 7:40 pm

This is a "feature" of Windows. HW5 should have a workaround for this problem.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:04 am

Hello fchazz,

[Topic moved here.]

To add to josq's reply (thanks, josq):

You didn't mention what operating system or Hauptwerk version you're using, but assuming it's Windows 10:

Unloading an organ (which needs to happen whenever Hauptwerk exits with an organ loaded, and thus also will happen if you reboot the computer with an organ loaded) became very slow in recent Windows 10 builds (build 1709 and later, and especially with Microsoft's Meltdown/Spectre changes):

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16514&start=15#p125448
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16614&p=125447#p125447

It's due to an underlying performance issue within recent Windows 10 builds themselves (rather than Hauptwerk per-se). Microsoft had been looking into the issue, and they were hoping to address it in April 2018 but found out that it required a more involved fix than they had first thought, and they aren't sure at this point when they will be releasing a fix for it (although they do still have it scheduled to be fixed, which will be included in a standard Windows 10 update at some future time).

Hauptwerk v5 includes a temporary (although non-ideal) work-around until Microsoft address it properly, which is covered in the release notice and in the installation instructions in the user guide: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

fchazz

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:50 am

I am running windows 10 and now Hauptwerk 5, but it did it in 4 as well. Where in the user guide is this work around talked about?
Frank H.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:43 am

Hello fchazz,

Here's the excerpt form the v5.0.0 release notice (page 12):

PCs: organs should unload much faster on recent Windows 10 versions if Windows' page file is completely disabled (as a work-around to a performance bug relating to locked memory in recent Windows 10 updates, which Microsoft is aware of and aims to address properly in the longer-term).

For how to disable Windows page file, please see step 2 in the 'Upgrade/re-installation steps on Windows' section in the Hauptwerk user guide (page 26 in the v5.0.0 version).
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

fchazz

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:48 am

I already did that. Thanks though. Still waiting for Paramount samplesets.
Frank H.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:59 am

Hello fchazz,

In that case, am I right in thinking that you're instead referring to Hauptwerk making an automatic backup (which you're choosing to cancel each time)?

If you have automatic periodic backups enabled (as they are by default), then they will be done when you exit Hauptwerk. If you specifically cancel the backup, then Hauptwerk will try again to make one next time you exit.

You can disable automatic backups on the 'General settings | General preferences' screen in Hauptwerk. However, if you do disable them, you should make sure that you use the 'File | Backup ...' function whenever appropriate (in case of computer failure, etc.).

(All of the behaviour is the same in v5 as it was in v4.)
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support