It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:05 am

Migrating multichannel audio to HW 5

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mnailor

Migrating multichannel audio to HW 5

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 7:41 pm

The user guide recommends resetting audio routing when moving to HW 5. While I see why that's useful in a simple audio system, I started with a fairly complicated (for me) set of audio groups and 16 output channels.

I could not, after two days of studying the user guide's 2 part audio section, figure out how to duplicate what I have if I were to reset during migration. I'm not really that stupid, with 30 years of reading (appallingly miswritten) manuals as a developer and system administrator, 6 years of university math as my major, and reasonable experience with Hauptwerk. But the names used in examples as well as the long titles given to each config window were too hard to keep track of for me to get it. If you memorize long strings of words easily, you won't have my problem comprehending it...

If you have multichannel audio that doesn't easily match the HW 5 defaults, you might consider not letting HW 5 reset audio, both general and per organ.

The automatic translation of my audio groups and output channels, as well as the rank routing, preserved what I had in HW 4 perfectly, including my group and channel names. I was able to play immediately with no tweaking. And the routing makes more sense to me now.

Now I can more easily understand how it works by looking at what buses HW 5 put my old stuff in, and I can ignore the default buses that aren't used. When I want to add reverb for dry samples, I''ll be starting from something I can build on and modify as needed.

Note: I don't currently need the 4 perspectives, just the front 1/main which is where my previous groups were attached. If you're using stereo, surround, or 3D speaker placements that look like the HW 5 defaults, the my advice isn't for you. The examples in part 1 should work easily if you do a reset.

IainStinson

Re: Migrating multichannel audio to HW 5

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 pm

You may find this http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17916 of some help.
Iain

jkinkennon

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:02 pm

I too have a math and technology background and lots of experience with audio mixing. I still found the nomenclature confusing and will start over with rereading the User Guide. Aside from the struggle with multichannel audio the transition to HW V went well enough with a couple of retries as Windows 10 locked the download files without generating a warning message. That may be a result of my running the latest WIN 10 pre-release upgrades as well. I've also noticed a couple of writeups on multichannel from one of the beta testers, Iain I think it was, and will look at those as well. Hope there's a diagram somewhere!

I did strongly discourage a friend with a multichannel setup at his church to delay upgrading until after the holidays as the price difference is not that huge.

EDIT: Thanks for the link to the writeup I was thinking of IainStinson.

mnailor

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:36 pm

IainStinson wrote:You may find this http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17916 of some help.
Iain

Thank you. That is helpful. I missed it, strangely since forum posts are so rare lately.

jkinkennon

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks all. I muddled through and the results are great. Always hard to A/B with a sound one last heard days ago, but I feel like this is the best I've heard yet. I run three pairs of front speakers, a pair at the rear, and a pair with sub as the pedal channel. I also bring out a three channel diverse group that I mix back in with the front channels with different channel offsets. I'm sure I could do all this in the HW mixer eventually.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:26 am

Hello nmailor/jkinkennon,

The multi-channel audio configuration might indeed take a bit of reading the user guide, and experimenting with it, to get the hang of (you could potentially use a spare 'alt config N' for that), but I think and hope that you'll find it extremely powerful (and quick to use) once one has one's head around it. In the medium-term future we do hope to add a more graphical interface for it, which would combine some of the settings screens, but that would be another big project, and there wasn't time to include that in v5 itself.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Return to Technical support