It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Hauptwerk V and "offline" rendering in DAWs

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mwdiers

Hauptwerk V and "offline" rendering in DAWs

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:54 pm

I'm hoping Martin can answer this question.

I'm a music producer, so I am very familiar with DAW-based editing and sequencing using plugins.

In Hauptwerk 4, using the VST/AU bridge, it was possible to bounce a project in Logic Pro X, in "Offline" mode.

This means that the Haupwerk engine is not processing in real time, but as fast as the computer can render it. On my Mac, this was always many times faster than doing a "Realtime" bounce.

However, Offline bouncing with Hauptwerk 4 was not perfect. While most things were just fine, some time-sensitive operations were not.

For example, changes to the shutters of an enclosed division take a certain amount of time. The shutters are supposed to open in a set amount of time during realtime playing, but when doing offline processing, the shutters are not changing at the "offline" speed, but at the "realtime" speed. In effect, this causes the shutters to open far too late, and far too slowly when bouncing in offline mode. Therefore I have been in the practice of always bouncing any projects in realtime if I was doing division enclosure automation.

The same problem is occurring in other DAWs. I tested it in Bitwig and Ableton, specifically, so it's not a DAW issue, but an implementation issue in Hauptwerk.

I am hoping it was on the list of things that needed to be fixed in Hauptwerk 5, or at least that it is still on the list. Prior to the v5 announcement, I despaired of this ever being fixed. If this is working correctly, I will be able to render many projects much faster.

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk V and "offline" rendering in DAWs

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 am

Hello mwdiers,

[Topic moved here.]

Neither Hauptwerk v4 nor v5 support off-line rendering. That isn't a bug as such, in that Hauptwerk runs as a stand-alone instrument (just linked optionally to a VST/AU host for MIDI and audio), in the same way that a hardware MIDI instrument would. Like a hardware MIDI instrument, all of Hauptwerk's models run in real-time, so if the host sends events faster than real-time then the results would be wrong.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mwdiers

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 11:11 am

mdyde wrote:Hello mwdiers,

[Topic moved here.]

Neither Hauptwerk v4 nor v5 support off-line rendering. That isn't a bug as such, in that Hauptwerk runs as a stand-alone instrument (just linked optionally to a VST/AU host for MIDI and audio), in the same way that a hardware MIDI instrument would. Like a hardware MIDI instrument, all of Hauptwerk's models run in real-time, so if the host sends events faster than real-time then the results would be wrong.

Thank you for your response, Martin. I'll stop carrying this particular torch and adjust my worfklow. :)

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks for the thanks, and sorry it doesn't do what you'd hoped in that respect.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Return to Technical support