It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

I have multiple HW dongles, what's the upgrade path?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ggoode_sa

I have multiple HW dongles, what's the upgrade path?

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 pm

I manage three VTPO consoles and also have my own HW dongle, so there are two Advanced Edition and two Basic Edition licenses from 4.2 to consider upgrading to HW V.

How do I know which license applies to the email discount that I received?

With the two Advanced Edition licenses, can I activate one onto my iLok USB and the other onto iLok Cloud on the same iLok account? Or do I need two iLok accounts? This assumes that my reading of the activation is correct, that it is either/or (iLok USB OR iLok Cloud)?

GrahamG
Last edited by ggoode_sa on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhm

Re: I have multiple HW dongles, what's the upgrade path?

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 am

The iLok documentation recommends that a person/company/studio with multiple licences should manage them all from ONE iLok account.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

engrssc

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:17 am

dhm wrote:The iLok documentation recommends that a person/company/studio with multiple licences should manage them all from ONE iLok account.

That really makes good sense. For one thing, each iLok device has it's own unique serial number. Plus you can tell at a glance via the iLok web site which device has which sample set license(s) associated with a particular device. Another advantage is the ability to easily move sample set licenses between the devices should you wish with no fee as long as they all are in a single account. That in itself makes for flexible management. Of course you need to have physical access to these devices at the time of moving sample sets, then move them back to their respective instruments.

For simple iLok device identification, I have each device numbered with a small stick on label. Another ID method is to color code them using a "dab" of nail polish. I use this nail polish to code such things as connectors, cables, etc.. The checkout clerk at one store looked to see if I had applied nail polish to my nails, told her it wasn't for me, at least not for my nails. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:42 am

If I were managing accounts for others, I would have separate iLOK accounts for each organisation so each kept their licences separately in the same way as with the HASP dongles. This would make handing them back if I ceased to be the manager far simpler. If you were managing my assets I would not want them potentially mixed in with those of other organisations or persons.

Iain

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:59 am

Hello Graham,

To add to others' replies:

If you were to manage all of the consoles under one iLok account then you could freely move any of the licences around amongst any dongle or iLok Cloud as/whenever you wish. If you used multiple iLok accounts then you would need to pay PACE a licence transfer fee if you ever wanted to move a licence between them. However, as Iain mentions, if the licences belong to different organisations, then you might prefer them to have their own iLok accounts, so as to keep them as distinct entities.

There's no particular need for you to buy a licence upgrade for your own dongle (unless you want to), since you already have the perpetual NFR (not-for-resale) v5 licence that we sent you previously, as a sample set developer.

ggoode_sa wrote:How do I know which license applies to the email discount that I received?

I haven't actually seen the emails that MDA sent out, but I assume they mention which discount codes are for Advanced Edition upgrades vs. Basic.

Apart from buying the appropriate edition upgrades, it doesn't matter which of those specific licences (of the appropriate edition) you use for which of your consoles. For example, if you bought three v5 Advanced Edition licences (whether upgrades or new licences), then you would end up with three identical licences, and you could use any of them for any of your consoles.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ggoode_sa

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:07 am

Thanks Douglas and Martin,

It will be easier to manage things from one iLok account then. I will be in contact with the console owners to see what they wish to do, and will make the various upgrades as per their wishes.

GrahamG

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 am

Thanks, Graham.

You're welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support