It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:40 am

I have till Christmas Day to try v5

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

StephenM

I have till Christmas Day to try v5

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 6:48 am

Just a few random thoughts and responses from someone who intends to upgrade.

1. As I do with the installation of all software I chose where to install v5. The v5 installer MOVED files from the v4 directories to my new v5 directories. Why not COPY them?

2. The MOVE took 12 hours (I went to bed) ... over 600G (I have MANY organs ... most trials etc)... and some directories did not get moved correctly, many directories were not moved at all.

3. The installer than deleted all the subdirectories in the HW4 directories.

4. At breakfast time the installation was complete.

5. I loaded organs .... many were missing altogether (because their directories were not moved).

6. The settings have been lost on ALL organs. This has happened before when Win10 upgraded.

7. Fortunately here in Australia test cricket starts tomorrow so I can watch the cricket while reloading all my organs.

8. With HW4 to make the audio work properly I adjusted the PRIORITY in Task Manager. It looks as if this may have to continue in HW5. Unfortunately when the MIXER is adjusted, the PRIORITY in Task Manager reverts.

9. The wet/dry adjustment is great. I have a spare knob that can be assigned.

10. I finish with good news. When I loaded the Milan organ upgrade file I discovered that I had completely forgotten one of the organs I purchased.

11. Tip to Milan .... you have most probably made your money on your organs. Why not give one free to everyone who upgrades? The upgrade price is very good but have I purchased the St Anne's organ again?

Thx
Stephen

mdyde

Re: I have till Christmas Day to try v5

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 9:13 am

Hello Stephen,

[Topic moved here.]

StephenM wrote:1. As I do with the installation of all software I chose where to install v5. The v5 installer MOVED files from the v4 directories to my new v5 directories. Why not COPY them?

2. The MOVE took 12 hours (I went to bed) ... over 600G (I have MANY organs ... most trials etc)... and some directories did not get moved correctly, many directories were not moved at all.

3. The installer than deleted all the subdirectories in the HW4 directories.

4. At breakfast time the installation was complete.

5. I loaded organs .... many were missing altogether (because their directories were not moved).

6. The settings have been lost on ALL organs. This has happened before when Win10 upgraded.

Sorry to hear that some files didn't move properly.

If you select different installation directories the installer intentionally tries to move your existing files/folders. The 'Changing installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 28 in the v5.0.0 version) covers it. It moves them, rather than copying them, so that it doesn't leave (potentially very large) amounts of data filling up your drive.

As that section says, we strongly recommend using Hauptwerk's 'File | Backup ...' function first, since moving (or copying) very large amounts of data does sometimes fail (e.g. due to file permissions).

(All of that behaviour is the same in the v5 installer as it was in v4.)

StephenM wrote:8. With HW4 to make the audio work properly I adjusted the PRIORITY in Task Manager. It looks as if this may have to continue in HW5. Unfortunately when the MIXER is adjusted, the PRIORITY in Task Manager reverts.

Here's the excerpt about Windows process priority from the v5.0.0 user guide (pages 16-17):

A new advanced general preference '- Try to run Hauptwerk at real-time priority on Windows' has been added, which is not ticked by default. On some PCs, running at real-time priority gives the most reliable audio/MIDI performance on Windows. However, automatically running at real-time priority usually requires that Hauptwerk be launched with Windows administrator privileges, in which case Hauptwerk's PDF documentation might not be accessible. (Running at real-time priority might possibly cause performance problems with other software running at the same time on the computer. The setting currently has no effect on other platforms.)

- A new advanced general preference ‘Extra time to allow when starting audio on Windows if not running at real-time priority’ has been added. On Windows, if Hauptwerk isn’t set to (or isn’t allowed to) run at real- time priority, then some PCs are prone to audio an audio glitch/CPU-spike straight after starting audio. This setting usually guards against that, but makes starting audio slower. Specifically: when not running at real-time priority, Windows sometimes takes several seconds to move audio threads around amongst CPU cores, which might result in audio glitches. The setting makes Hauptwerk allow time for that to have happened before it starts streaming audio. We found about 7 seconds to work reliably on most PCs, which is the default. Running Hauptwerk at real-time priority (either manually via Windows settings, or allowing Hauptwerk to do it automatically by running Hauptwerk with Windows administrator privileges, keeping the ‘Try to run Hauptwerk at real-time priority on Windows’ preference ticked) should avoid the issue entirely, and usually gives more stable audio/MIDI overall anyway. (The setting currently has no effect on other platforms.)

(The main user guide also covers those settings on pages 138-139.)

StephenM wrote:9. The wet/dry adjustment is great. I have a spare knob that can be assigned.

Glad you like it -- thanks!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support