It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:33 am

Advanced (audio) settings for VST link

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

abaymajr

Advanced (audio) settings for VST link

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 am

In Hauptwerk 4, when selecting VST Link as output device, the advanced buffer size settings became unavailable. In Hauptwerk 5, they are always available, whether the selected audio output device is DirectSound, ASIO, or VST Link. Which audio buffer setting prevails between HW5 and RAW? Or is the total buffer the sum of the two configurations (HW5 and RAW host)?

Which audio buffer setting on HW5 for VST Link does correspond to the one internally applied on HW4?

I am unfortunately suffering from many audio glitches since upgrading to HW5. Even the Hauptwerk.exe real-time priority setting tip, which has provided me with a 100% glitch-free experience for years since I discovered this, is no longer working. In HW5, glitches decrease with the real-time priority setting, but they still exist, and not a few.

mdyde

Re: Advanced (audio) settings for VST link

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:53 am

Hello abaymajr,

This is the relevant excerpt from the 'Performance tuning: Buffer sizes and latency' section in the user guide (page 240 in the v5.0.0 version):

For the Hauptwerk AU/VST Plug-in Link, audio buffer sizes should also be specified within Hauptwerk (since Hauptwerk requires its buffers’ sizes to be powers of two and of a constant size, so that zero-latency impulse response reverb is possible within Hauptwerk). For good performance, the individual buffer size set in Hauptwerk should be no larger than the AU/VST host’s buffer size and the total amount of Hauptwerk buffering (Hauptwerk individual buffer size multiplied by number of buffers) should be at least at much as the AU/VST host’s buffer size. If you are certain that the host’s buffer size will always be exactly the same as the buffer size set in Hauptwerk then you can set the number of buffers in Hauptwerk to 1, which should give the best possible performance and lowest latency. For the AU/VST Link the default Hauptwerk buffer values (size=256, number=4) should be reliable for any host buffer size in between 256 and 1024, giving a reasonable balance of performance.

If your VST/AU host uses a constant (i.e. not dynamically varying, as some hosts do) power-of-two buffer size, then set Hauptwerk's number of buffers to 1 and set Hauptwerk's buffer size to the same value as the host's. That way, no additional buffer latency will be present. (Larger buffer sizes give more polyphony and resilience to audio glitches, of course.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

abaymajr

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:15 am

mdyde wrote:Hello abaymajr,

This is the relevant excerpt from the 'Performance tuning: Buffer sizes and latency' section in the user guide (page 240 in the v5.0.0 version):

For the Hauptwerk AU/VST Plug-in Link, audio buffer sizes should also be specified within Hauptwerk (since Hauptwerk requires its buffers’ sizes to be powers of two and of a constant size, so that zero-latency impulse response reverb is possible within Hauptwerk). For good performance, the individual buffer size set in Hauptwerk should be no larger than the AU/VST host’s buffer size and the total amount of Hauptwerk buffering (Hauptwerk individual buffer size multiplied by number of buffers) should be at least at much as the AU/VST host’s buffer size. If you are certain that the host’s buffer size will always be exactly the same as the buffer size set in Hauptwerk then you can set the number of buffers in Hauptwerk to 1, which should give the best possible performance and lowest latency. For the AU/VST Link the default Hauptwerk buffer values (size=256, number=4) should be reliable for any host buffer size in between 256 and 1024, giving a reasonable balance of performance.

If your VST/AU host uses a constant (i.e. not dynamically varying, as some hosts do) power-of-two buffer size, then set Hauptwerk's number of buffers to 1 and set Hauptwerk's buffer size to the same value as the host's. That way, no additional buffer latency will be present. (Larger buffer sizes give more polyphony and resilience to audio glitches, of course.)

Thank you, Martin, for your prompt reply. If I understand correctly, a buffer for VST link has been enabled on HW5 so that IR-based reverb could be possible. I know what I am asking would be contrary to one of the major features of version 5, but would it be possible to turn off this buffer in case the user does not use reverb, or does inside of VST host itself? I already make use of room correction software like Dirac Live (for a resonant room) and Sonarworks Reference 4 (for my home studio e headphone), which require a VST host. So, in need of reverb (or other audio treatment), it seems more rational to make use of the host VST buffers for this task among the other audio processing tasks, doesn't it? Until a future Hauptwerk release incorporates its own VST host, which would be great, in my opinion.

As for the audio glitches, I'm still investigating them. My preliminary guess is that a given sampleset that were using almost all the RAM available in HW4 setup, it's now using all the memory in HW5, causing constant page file access. Hope I can come up with a safe diagnosis and solution, because it's not good to live with the possibility of these audio issues, even less in live performance situations.

Loved the iLok cloud solution! The fear of losing (or being stolen) a USB dongle with numerous and expensive licenses during the constant transport of my HW notebook now seems to be a thing of the past. Since I usually have at least two Internet sources where I use Hauptwerk, one will back up the other in case of failure.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks, abaymajr.

abaymajr wrote:If I understand correctly, a buffer for VST link has been enabled on HW5 so that IR-based reverb could be possible. I know what I am asking would be contrary to one of the major features of version 5, but would it be possible to turn off this buffer in case the user does not use reverb, or does inside of VST host itself? I already make use of room correction software like Dirac Live (for a resonant room) and Sonarworks Reference 4 (for my home studio e headphone), which require a VST host. So, in need of reverb (or other audio treatment), it seems more rational to make use of the host VST buffers for this task among the other audio processing tasks, doesn't it?

If Hauptwerk's number of buffers setting is set to 1 then no additional buffering will be used, compared to v4, i.e. the host will trigger the buffer fill directly, as it did for v4. However, if you want to do that you must make sure your host is using a constant power-of-two buffer size in that case (otherwise you would get audio glitches), as I mentioned. v5 does absolutely need a constant power-of-two buffer, hence the need for the extra settings to exist.

By looking in Hauptwerk's log after stopping audio/MIDI you can see the minimum and maximum buffer sizes that the host actually used. In order for it to be safe to set number of buffers to 1 in Hauptwerk the reported host min and max buffers must be the same (=>constant buffer size) and they must be a power of two.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Return to Technical support