It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:57 am

Re: Migrating from Hauptwerk v4 to v5+ on a Mac . . .

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Lougheed

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm replying here since I can't post to the News, Announcements forum . . .

"VERY IMPORTANT: please read this before upgrading any existing Hauptwerk Mac installation to v5 . . .
I've edited my above post to make it clear that the instructions there (uninstall Hauptwerk v4 completely and delete files/folder, before installing v5) also need to be followed on any Mac platform if upgrading to v5 . . ."

Sadly, I had not read this announcement before proceeding. :-(

I ran the Hauptwerk ver 5 installer before uninstalling Hauptwerk 4 (macOS Mojave 10.14.6).

Some things working, some not. (iLok dongle showing all encrypted organs and they have been activated, and the current version of the Licensing package has been installed)

Previously installed unencrypted organs work.

Encrypted organs updated to version 5 will not load (error message code 0068).

Newly installed version 4 unencrypted organs will load but not produce any sound.

Although you emphasized to "uninstall Hauptwerk v4 completely and delete files/folder, before installing v5" as I indicated, I did not do this because I didn't know I was supposed to. Simply stated, the messaging came too late.

I did, however, make a back up of my Hauptwerk 4 settings, prior to running the Hauptwerk 5 installer, so hopefully not all is lost.

What steps should I now take to correct for this?

pwhodges

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Two options: Delete and reinstall, as suggested; or the slightly quicker option that Martin suggested to me here.

mdyde

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 8:03 am

Hello Lawrence,

Thanks for upgrading. Yes -- to confirm Paul's reply (thanks, Paul), the sure-fire way to fix it would be to uninstall and delete everything, then re-install v5, as in my announcement topic ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 ).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

david515mi

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:22 am

Am I correct that there’s no need to uninstall v4 if V will be installed on a different computer?

David

mdyde

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:27 am

Hello David,

Correct.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

stephenhiu

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Question about migration of unencrypted version 4 sample sets to Hauptwerk 5.0 by file transfer

Thank you all for the updated instructions for upgrades on a Mac! I am also one of the ones who did not see the updated instructions in the forum until I had problems. I was relying on the published user manual. I am on my second clean install.

Since a clean install is required on a Mac in order to do the upgrade to Hauptwerk 5.0 with the folders listed below deleted, I was wondering if is it possible to migrate unencrypted version 4 sample sets to Hauptwerk 5 on a Mac without downloading and reinstalling each one by one? Specifically, could the files from the version 4 folders be copied from a backup drive to their proper locations in version 5 to retain all the sample sets? For example, the files from version 4 '/Hauptwerk would go to the '/Users/<your macOS username>/Hauptwerk/ directory on version 5. Where should the files from '/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ' and '/Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Hauptwerk' from version 4 be moved to on version 5? I am hoping that by just copying over the files to the right locations, I won't have to download and reinstall each sample set to use on Hauptwerk 5. Will this file transfer method work?

File folders that need to be deleted:
'/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ'
'/Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Hauptwerk'
'/Hauptwerk'

mdyde

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 8:12 am

Hello Stephen,

stephenhiu wrote:Thank you all for the updated instructions for upgrades on a Mac! I am also one of the ones who did not see the updated instructions in the forum until I had problems. I was relying on the published user manual

My apologies that those instructions ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 ) weren't included in the user guide installation instructions. We'll make sure they get added there for v5.0.1.

stephenhiu wrote:Since a clean install is required on a Mac in order to do the upgrade to Hauptwerk 5.0 with the folders listed below deleted, I was wondering if is it possible to migrate unencrypted version 4 sample sets to Hauptwerk 5 on a Mac without downloading and reinstalling each one by one? Specifically, could the files from the version 4 folders be copied from a backup drive to their proper locations in version 5 to retain all the sample sets? For example, the files from version 4 '/Hauptwerk would go to the '/Users/<your macOS username>/Hauptwerk/ directory on version 5. Where should the files from '/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ' and '/Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Hauptwerk' from version 4 be moved to on version 5? I am hoping that by just copying over the files to the right locations, I won't have to download and reinstall each sample set to use on Hauptwerk 5. Will this file transfer method work?

The best and safest way is just to do a clean install of them all again.

If trying to 'hack' the installation manually, one needs to be extremely careful that file/folder permissions (and ownership) end up being correct and that the necessary files/folders are in exactly the right places. If you do want to try it, then I think (but I'm not promising), the following should work:

- Delete '/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ'. (It's very important that you delete this one completely, otherwise v5 will behave strangely.)

- Also delete '/Hauptwerk'.

- Move then contents of '/Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Hauptwerk' into ''/Users/<your macOS username>/Hauptwerk/'.

- You might also need to set the file/folder ownership recursively (e.g. from the command-line) on the latter to the logged-in Mac account.

- Run the v5 installer, and let it perform a default installation (so that it uses its default installation locations, which are all '/Users/<your macOS username>/Hauptwerk/', thereby finding and updating your existing data directories).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support