It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 am

How do I solve my Audio problem in HW - 5

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

hgeurten

DAC with DirectSound driver in Hauptwerk v5

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 4:05 am

My story towards HW V, need some help or advice
After upgrade installation 4 to V , much things went wrong and I decided to complete renew the Windows OS installation and a clean fresh new V system setup, with iLok USB dongle, and the Manager installed etc. My system consists out of 3 disks; all SSD-M2 disks, one small for the windows OS and basic HW, and 2 x 1 TB for respectively the Data and Cash
After this clean install, my iLok still does not see the Licensed Organs only the HW Advanced and V license is visible in iLok management and I dragged them down to the dongle.

The OS system and HW V does reacts normal now to my opinion with the clean install, though my sound machine Cambridge DAC Magic Plus, only connected to the PC via a Toslink cable, is complete different behaving compared to or in the 4 version. It gives a much more spatial sound in V and Very high latency(Not at all in 4), basically not able to play proper with this huge delay. When I bring the buffer size down to 40 in the audio(default 80) he starts clipping constantly, with 50 it’s at least playable, but the system with this setting says mostly the message” could not start audio buffer playback and so on” and then the total OS hangs mostly, and needs a hard PC start.
What can you advice, should I have to buy an audio interface which uses Asio drivers, instead of working pure digital like now, and all this external cards have present standard total unnecessary mike inputs. But on the other side, it’s ridicules that In HW 4, my Cambridge DAC was working fine, and in V all this terrible Hussle appears, which I don’t like at all, what you hopefully understand.
Why is there no HW Automatic start option in the setup compared with version 4??
Altogether, I do not see the advantage YET in this upgrade V compared the 4, for my use.
Hubertus

hgeurten

How do I solve my Audio problem in HW - 5

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 4:32 am

After upgrade installation 4 to V , much things went wrong and I decided to complete renew the Windows OS installation and a clean fresh new V system setup, with iLok USB dongle, and the Manager installed etc.
My system consists out of 3 disks; all SSD-M2 disks, one small for the windows OS and basic HW, and 2 x 1 TB for respectively the Data and Cash
After this clean install, my iLok still does not see the Licensed Organs only the HW Advanced and V license is visible in iLok management and I dragged them down to the dongle.

The OS system and HW V does reacts normal now to my opinion with this clean install, though my sound machine Cambridge DAC Magic Plus, only connected to the PC via a Toslink cable, is complete different behaving compared to or in the 4 version. It gives a much more spatial sound in now and a Very high latency (Not at all in 4), basically not able to play with this huge delay. When I bring the buffer size down to 40 in the audio(default 80) he starts clipping constantly, with 50 it’s at least playable, but the system with this setting says mostly the message” could not start audio buffer playback and so on” and then the total OS hangs mostly, and needs a hard PC start.
What can you advice, should I have to buy an audio interface which uses Asio drivers, instead of working pure digital like now, and the disadvantage of all this external cards is the present standard total unnecessary mike inputs. But on the other side, it’s ridicules that In HW 4, my Cambridge DAC was working fine, and in V all this terrible Hussle appears,
Also, Why is there no HW Automatic start option in the setup compared with version 4??
Altogether, I do not see YET the advantage in this upgrade V compared the 4 for my use.
Hope you can help me out.
Best regards
Hubertus

mdyde

Re: DAC with DirectSound driver in Hauptwerk v5

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:16 am

Hello Hubertus,

Thanks very much for upgrading.

hgeurten wrote:After this clean install, my iLok still does not see the Licensed Organs only the HW Advanced and V license is visible in iLok management and I dragged them down to the dongle.

Instructions for migrating your existing sample sets and their licences to v5 are here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15#p134736

hgeurten wrote:The OS system and HW V does reacts normal now to my opinion with the clean install, though my sound machine Cambridge DAC Magic Plus, only connected to the PC via a Toslink cable, is complete different behaving compared to or in the 4 version. It gives a much more spatial sound in V and Very high latency(Not at all in 4), basically not able to play proper with this huge delay. When I bring the buffer size down to 40 in the audio(default 80) he starts clipping constantly, with 50 it’s at least playable, but the system with this setting says mostly the message” could not start audio buffer playback and so on” and then the total OS hangs mostly, and needs a hard PC start.
What can you advice, should I have to buy an audio interface which uses Asio drivers, instead of working pure digital like now, and all this external cards have present standard total unnecessary mike inputs. But on the other side, it’s ridicules that In HW 4, my Cambridge DAC was working fine, and in V all this terrible Hussle appears, which I don’t like at all, what you hopefully understand.

On Windows, we'd always recommend using good ASIO drivers for best performance. (Some DirectSound drivers work acceptably at low latency, but not many, and it may vary between Windows versions and driver versions. v5 uses a newer version of Microsoft's DirectSound than v4 did, which might have an effect. Also v5 needs a bit more buffering for DirectSound because at least one power-of-two buffer size is needed internally, given that DirectSound doesn't guarantee buffer chunk sizes.)

My recommendation would be first to try ASIO4All, which often manages to get reasonably good low-latency performance from devices that don't themselves have manufacturer-supplied ASIO drivers: http://www.asio4all.org/

(Install it, configure it use your DAC, then select ASIO4All as the driver in Hauptwerk with a buffer size of 1024.)

Does that solve it?

hgeurten wrote:Why is there no HW Automatic start option in the setup compared with version 4??

We took that out of the installer because Windows and Macs both have easy native means to accomplish that, which varies a little between operating system versions. (Also, attempting to duplicate that ability via the installer tended to cause confusion as a result.)

Here are Microsoft's instructions for making Windows 10 launch an application (e.g. Hauptwerk v5) automatically: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... artup-apps

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Re: How do I solve my Audio problem in HW - 5

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:28 am

Hello Hubertus,

I've merged my reply from the original duplicate post into your new one here. Hope it helps.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

hgeurten

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks very much Martin to guide me in this.
Meanwhile I found out how to attach the HW.exe into the startup, and it works fine.
What remains is, that my Organ licencees are still Not available in the iLok Manager, the HW V + Advanced are there, so why the other Organ ones are not there or shown.
Hope you ca assist
Thanks again
Hubertus

mdyde

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks, Hubertus.

hgeurten wrote:Meanwhile I found out how to attach the HW.exe into the startup, and it works fine.

Excellent.

hgeurten wrote:What remains is, that my Organ licencees are still Not available in the iLok Manager, the HW V + Advanced are there, so why the other Organ ones are not there or shown.

Did you follow the instructions in this topic to use the 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' menu function and then submit the resulting file to us?:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15#p134736
Best regards, Martin.

hgeurten

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 5:18 am

Morning Martin,
Have tried your options, but maybe the reason is that my Advanced license is in the Trial mode activated on the iLok USB, and the V license is normal activated. I made a print screen, but don't know how to send it to you.
How to activate now the trial version into the proper full version, because by when I started before yesterday I was not able to bring in my LONG numerical figure license code, and that why I chose the Trial mode.
Pls help
Best regards
Hubertus

hgeurten

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 5:20 am

Martin,
Also the links towards the FAQ pages is not working for me.
Sorry, I found upstairs in the menu the FAQ section.I'm not used on the forum sorry

mdyde

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:28 am

Hello Hubertus,

As long as you have your full (non-trial) Hauptwerk v5 licence activated to your iLok dongle, then it makes no difference whether you also have a Hauptwerk v5 trial licence activated to the same dongle; in either case a valid v5 will be found by Hauptwerk, so Hauptwerk will work fully. In the bottom left-hand pane in iLok License Manager you can click on the node named 'iLok_...' to see the licences that are currently on your iLok dongle.

To transfer your sample set licences from v4 to v5 you then also need to follow the instructions I mentioned in this topic to use the 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' menu function within Hauptwerk v5 and then submit the resulting file to us:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15#p134736

If you can't get that to work, please let us know exactly which part of it you're having problems with. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

hgeurten

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Dear Martin,
Again thanks to help me out because I do not get it fixed wat has to be done obviously in the iLok manager.
I have an iLok account as you understand, and it works on several PC’s.
When the iLok dongle is attached(on one of the PC’s), the manager presents a picture like page 1/5 of the iLok quick start guide. There is NO node named iLok to find, in the LH bottom pane only Zero downtime pane is present.
Further the pane above is occupied by info of 3 items like the 1/5 picture ; My desktop PC - My Cloud and my own Dongle s/n.
Also in the iLok File section is NO line text/parameter present or to find in the other Menu items, with 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version
What is your opinion pls.
Can I send prnt screens to you?, I don’t know how.

Also as general info: I cannot get HW 5 working on my second HW PC, because after the request for activation of license, I bring in the received activation code from when I purchased the upgrade, and there after the system says: The code redemption limit has been reached.

Best Regards
Hubertus

pwhodges

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 4:28 pm

To activate on a second PC in iLok Cloud, you have to deactivate on the first PC. Just as if the licence is on the dongle, in which case you again have to remove from one PC to install in the other.

Paul

hgeurten

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 6:24 am

Thanks Paul, though I wait also on Martin's opinion
Hubertus

hgeurten

iLok system still does not see Organ licens

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 10:51 am

Dear Martin,
Again thanks to help me out because I do not get it fixed wat has to be done obviously in the iLok manager.
I have an iLok account as you understand, and it works on several PC’s.
When the iLok dongle is attached(on one of the PC’s), the manager presents a picture like page 1/5 of the iLok quick start guide. There is NO node named iLok to find, in the LH bottom pane only Zero downtime pane is present.
Further the pane above is occupied by info of 3 items like the 1/5 picture ; My desktop PC - My Cloud and my own Dongle s/n.
Also in the iLok File section is NO line text/parameter present or to find in the other Menu items, with 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version
What is your opinion pls.
Can I send prnt screens to you?, I don’t know how.

Also as general info: I cannot get HW 5 working on my second HW PC, because after the request for activation of license, I bring in the received activation code from when I purchased the upgrade, and there after the system says: The code redemption limit has been reached.

The "How to fix the audio" is solved by your suggestion to get the Asio for this DAC from the factory

Best Regards
Hubertus

mnailor

Re: iLok system still does not see Organ licens

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:16 am

File | Initiate migration is in HW 5, not in iLok Manager.

To use your HW 5 license, you redeem it once using the activation code to place the license in your iLok account, as you have done successfully.

Then, in iLok Manager again, you select the license, Show Details, and Activate the license either to your iLok USB key or to the cloud. Either way, you can use it on more than one computer, but only one at a time. In your case, you'd Activate the license to your iLok dongle and move the dongle between computers.

hgeurten

Re: iLok system still does not see Organ licens

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks mnailor for your reaction, though in HW5 is in the File section no line with the context to migrate licenses, sorry.
I checked that already a couple of days too in HW, so I thought on that behalve it would be in the iLok account.
Any further idea, or should I have to reinstall HW5.
On the other side, in the Help menu section under Äbaout HW" is clearly stated that I have 5.0.0.333.
Hubertus
Next

Return to Technical support