It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:50 am

Mac Users may need to delete and reinstall HW 5

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

adrianw

Mac Users may need to delete and reinstall HW 5

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 4:42 am

've edited my v4->v5 Mac migration topic ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 ) to make it clear that the instructions there (uninstall Hauptwerk v4 completely and delete files/folder, before installing v5) also normally need to be followed on any Mac platform if upgrading to v5, irrespective of whether upgrading to 10.15 specifically or planning to do so.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Although this has been posted in the other thread, in the noise of the board some Mac users may have missed the changed advice folllowing on from my woes. You can read Martin's full and authoritative description in the announcements, but briefly the Mac HW5 installer lacks the necessary permissions (because of Apples security policies) to perform an in-place update of HW4. This now applies to all recent versions of Mac OS X, not just Catalina as previously advised.

IF you have already done the update even if it appears to have installed correctly you may need to delete the installation completely, reinstall and restore all HW sample sets and data from the pre-upgrade backups. (You did take a backup before upgrading, right?)

If you have not yet upgraded, you will need to do the backup, completely delete Hauptwerk 4 and all its folders before starting the HW5 install process.

I know this is huge bad news, (and I am sorry to be the bearer of it), but faulty installs could cause immeasurable grief later if not corrected now.

- Adrian.

mdyde

Re: Mac Users may need to delete and reinstall HW 5

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 11:01 am

To add to Adrian's message (thanks, Adrian), here is the link to my topic with the full instructions: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

gary.chapman

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 11:23 am

mdyde wrote:To add to Adrian's message (thanks, Adrian), here is the link to my topic with the full instructions: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850

It seems to me that instructions, however good, buried in forum posts are a recipe for a continual stream of problems — given that almost no one ever seems to search for and read old posts!

Put the instructions in documents that are readily available and visible wherever people go for purchases and upgrades!

mdyde

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Thanks, Gary.

I've made a new announcement thread to list known issues of note, so that people can find things they may need to be aware of easily: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17970
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

gary.chapman

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 12:44 pm

mdyde wrote:Thanks, Gary.

I've made a new announcement thread to list known issues of note, so that people can find things they may need to be aware of easily: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17970

This is excellent, but not quite sufficient in my opinion. Posts and threads are good for discussion and updated information, but are extremely unlikely to be seen by a large percentage of customers at the right time. For the case of Mac upgrade, your advice is quite inconsistent with the upgrade instructions in the installation/user guide - and one cannot be confident in fact that a high percentage of people will see either! After all, these days one typically expects to simply select an upgrade link, and maybe follow a few simple on-screen instructions.

So I'd like to repeat... in my opinion, wherever a person goes to buy/upgrade, or receives a message with download links, there should be a link to a document with the latest and best installation information (and could include a link into the forum).

(Even better would be for the software itself to communicate (or even enforce) best practice for installation/upgrade.)

mdyde

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:10 pm

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the thoughts. I've passed them on so they get considered.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support