It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Installing on offline machine

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ppytprs

Installing on offline machine

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 am

Sorry if this has already been covered, I did look, but there's rather a deluge of info at the moment here!

If I'm installing v5 on an offline computer, what do I need? Obviously the installer, and the iLok manager. But when I did a test install on my Mac, it downloaded some licence package or other. Is that the licence database that I've seen mentioned?

mdyde

Re: Installing on offline machine

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Hello ppytprs,

On the off-line computer itself, (aside from audio/MIDI interfaces, etc.) you would need:

- iLok License Manager installed.
- Hauptwerk v5 tself installed.
- The iLok dongle with your licences attached whenever running Hauptwerk.
- The Hauptwerk licensing packages file installed (e.g. see: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15#p134736 ).
- Your Hauptwerk sample sets installed (at their v5 versions where relevant).

On the non-Hauptwerk Internet computer (assuming you weren't also using it for starting a trial of Hauptwerk v5), you would only need:

- The iLok dongle whenever you need to activate/deactivate/move/transfer/etc. any licences.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

TomBentley

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Sorry to jump in here but this is exactly what I've been looking for for the last two days. And I'm starting to get it thru my thick head I think. Last hurdle for me (other than availability of ilok dongle on the way, and V5 sample sets becoming available to add to license) is what do I do about the HW4 version on the non-internet connected HW computer -- Do I just uninstall it before installing V5 on that computer? I have given up attempting a trial and simply bought the upgrade and am not interested in saving combo sets i've made, etc. just gonna start from scratch with V5, but don't I need to generate some sort of file from those existing sets on the HW4 non-internet computer before I knock it in the head or does that all come from the Old Hasp dongle thru the Migrate function (I am assuming here, I will need to attach that hasp dongle to the internet connect non-HW computer to initiate that Migrate part). If I am thinking correctly perhaps I'll be able to sleep tonight. Of course I'd be in even better shape if I thought I could somehow back up the entire HW4 rig just for safety sake but not sure how to accomplish that.

Thanks, Martin in advance ... don't know what we'd do without you!

Tom

OrganoPleno

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 3:20 pm

TomBentley wrote:Don't I need to generate some sort of file from those existing sets on the HW4 non-internet computer before I knock it in the head or does that all come from the Old Hasp dongle thru the Migrate function (I am assuming here, I will need to attach that hasp dongle to the internet connect non-HW computer to initiate that Migrate part). If I am thinking correctly perhaps I'll be able to sleep tonight.

My understanding is that you don't need an Internet connection for this. The machine with HW 5 just needs to read the HASP dongle. This does require the drivers for the HASP dongle, but if this is also your HW 4 machine then they are already present.

The "migrate" feature (found in the HW 5 File Menu when HASP dongle is detected as being present) simply creates a special file (maybe on your desktop?) and also erases the contents of the HASP. This file contains the necessary information for granting you the HW 5 licenses for your dongle-encrypted Sample Sets.

To get the licenses issued, you then carry that special file (eg on a USB flash drive) over to a computer that does have Internet access, and submit it somehow to the Hauptwerk.com website... along with information about your iLok account so the issued licenses land in the right place.

Then within iLok, on that same computer, you can activate the licenses and transfer them to your ilok Dongle.

TomBentley wrote:Of course I'd be in even better shape if I thought I could somehow back up the entire HW4 rig just for safety sake but not sure how to accomplish that.

This would be a very good idea! There are programs available that can make a back-up image of an entire Drive or Partition, including the Operating System (and presumably your HW 4 program and all of its data and settings). When such an Image is restored (by the same program that produced it) back onto your Drive or Partition (completely wiping out anything else that might have been placed there after making the back-up), then your original System should be restored, able to boot to your Operating System and containing your fully-functional HW 4 system,.

Not for the faint of heart, I suppose... but making the Image (as a sort of insurance) should be completely safe. All you need is a place to put the image... eg some different drive or partition on your System, separate from the one being backed up. The only "danger" comes with attempting to RESTORE the image,,,, because it necessarily wipes out whatever else is there... so be sure that it only over-writes what you meant it to, and not something else!

A bit long-winded here, sorry, but perhaps it could prove helpful to somebody. I leave the choice of some particular back-up program to others, or to your own investigations, as there are many and they all work a little differently. And some could be very powerful but maybe not very user-friendly. But you probably guessed that already...

-- OrganoPleno

mdyde

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 6:50 am

Hello Tom,

To add to OrganoPleno's reply (thanks, OrganoPleno):

- If your main Hauptwerk (non-Internet-connected) computer is a Mac, then you do need to un-install/delete your existing Hauptwerk v4 installation before installing v5, as covered here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 . However, if it's a PC/Windows, then you can instead just let the Hauptwerk v5 installer upgrade the existing installation (with no need to un-install it first).

- Instructions for migrating your existing sample sets and their licences to v5 are here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15#p134736 . As OrganoPleno mentioned, you would create the licence migration request file on your Hauptwerk computer (with both the v4 and v5 dongles attached, then transfer it to your Internet computer to submit it via the website, then activate the resulting licences on your v5 iLok dongle there, then move the iLok dongle back again. (Always exit Hauptwerk before detaching the iLok dongle.)

- It's always a good idea to use 'File | Backup ...' in the last version of Hauptwerk before installing any new version, because then you can get all of your settings/combinations/voicing back by restoring that backup at any time (in the same Hauptwerk version, or in any future version).
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

ppytprs

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 6:02 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello ppytprs,

On the off-line computer itself, (aside from audio/MIDI interfaces, etc.) you would need:

- Hauptwerk v5 tself installed.
- The iLok dongle with your licences attached whenever running Hauptwerk.
- The Hauptwerk licensing packages file installed (e.g. see: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15#p134736 ).
- Your Hauptwerk sample sets installed (at their v5 versions where relevant).

On the non-Hauptwerk Internet computer (assuming you weren't also using it for starting a trial of Hauptwerk v5), you would only need:

- The iLok dongle whenever you need to activate/deactivate/move/transfer/etc. any licences.

Hope that helps.

Ok, so I have installed HW5 and the iLok manager on the organ computer. And updated to Win10 in the process.
When I try to start either HW or the iLok manager, they both say they can't find an internet connection.
I have transferred my HW licence to the iLok dongle on my internet enabled computer.
What now?!

mdyde

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Hello ppytprs,

[Topic moved here.]

Please try:

- Temporarily move the iLok dongle back to your Internet computer.
- On that computer, launch iLok License Manager, and use it sign in to your iLok account.
- In the left-hand pane, click on the node for your iLok dongle.
- The right-hand pane should then show a list of licences that are currently on the dongle.
- Double-click on the full Hauptwerk licence (not a Hauptwerk trial licence, if present).
- The details pane below it should show the current details/status of the licence.

Its 'License Status' should be shown specifically as 'Active'. Is it? (If not, it either isn't actually on the dongle, or isn't active. It does need to be on the dongle, and active.)
Best regards, Martin.

ppytprs

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:19 am

Ok, I checked this.
On my Mac, the dongle shows up in the left hand pane without signing in and the licence is active.

When I put it back in the organ computer it doesn't show up in the iLok manager.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Hello ppytprs,

If I boot Windows 10 without my network cable (or WiFi) attached, then as long as my iLok dongle is attached, I can launch and use Hauptwerk v5 normally (as expected).

If I try launch iLok License Manager then iLok License Manager will warn me that an Internet connection is unavailable (as expected), so I can't t sign in within iLok License Manager (also as expected), but iLok License Manager still shows the dongle in the left-hand ('Local') pane, which means that the computer is seeing the dongle properly.

Is the indicator lamp lit within the iLok dongle? (If not, presumably the computer isn't seeing it for some reason.)
Best regards, Martin.

ppytprs

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:25 pm

The indicator lamp on the dongle comes on when I plug it in, but then goes out.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks, ppytprs.

Is it connected via a USB hub? If so, perhaps the hub doesn't have enough power to supply it, or perhaps there's a USB compatibility issue between it and the hub.

Does if light up properly if you connect it via (other) USB ports directly on the computer?

It needs to be lit before it will be usable.
Best regards, Martin.

ppytprs

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:31 pm

I reinstalled the iLok manager. Works now... !

Thanks for your help Martin.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Excellent! Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support